This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:After deinstalling WPML the database still has WPML items

Solution:RESET removes settings and _icl database tables only but does not interfere with the rest of your tables therefore some information is left over behind.

there are still posts in wp_posts that hold the information for both languages

( pages,posts categories and tags x times the languages that you had)

also do note that in postmeta there are meta info that remains like for duplicate_of

The remain information is not something that would slow down your sites performance but If you would like to remove the tables you can ,

ofcourse do take a full site and database backup before doing so!

My recommendation is always to deal with the database very carefully.

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Muriel 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
January 30, 2017 at 11:51 am #1193586

Muriel

This was the issue at first: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/backend-is-really-slow-when-editing-products

Due to the fact that Kallyas was so slow to respond and help out, my client asked me to remove the WPML plug-in. Because before the WPML plug-in the website back-end was fine and fast. With it it was not.

I have removed the plug-in and set also that all data should be removed. if I check it, I see that there are a lot of WMPL things left in the databsse.

Can i clear them out, or will, this cause issues?
Please help to clean the database of all of WPML. thx!

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link ( no support will be done on the live website, therefor a testserver is being used). Same issue. Only my hosting is a bit faster.

January 30, 2017 at 8:32 pm #1194233

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

When uninstalling WPML the database remains intact therefore none of its data is removed , thats done so you can deactivate or remove WPML and when its re activated in the future your translations and settings are not lost.

If you want to have everything removed (including translations of pages/posts in the secondary langauge)

Then it is recommended to go to WPML->Support->Troubleshooting->RESET WPML

RESET WPML will erase all of WPML's data on the site and database

January 31, 2017 at 7:25 am #1194432

Muriel

Yeah, well that's didn't happen. The icl_databse items were removed that way.
But as shown in the screenshot i still have a lot of WPML related items in there.

January 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm #1195218

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

You can either re activate WPML on your site and then go to WPML->Support->Troubleshooting->RESET WPML (my recommendation)

Or you can manually remove those tables from your database.

February 1, 2017 at 10:29 am #1195875

Muriel

Readded the plug-in, actived, used your solution.
Nope... The WPML thingies stay in there..

You are sure that if I remove these things, my database (and website) will still be functioning?

February 1, 2017 at 7:40 pm #1196663

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

I just verified with our developers and that is a normal behavior .

RESET removes settings and _icl database tables only but does not interfere with the rest of your tables therefore some information is left over behind.

there are still posts in wp_posts that hold the information for both languages

( pages,posts categories and tags x times the languages that you had)

also do note that in postmeta there are meta info that remains
like for duplicate_of

The remain information is not something that would slow down your sites performance but If you would like to remove the tables you can ,

ofcourse do take a full site and database backup before doing so!

My recommendation is always to deal with the database very carefully.

February 6, 2017 at 2:07 pm #1200438

Muriel

Well it sure did enlarge the database (13MB)

But If you are sure I can erase any obsolete info, will do that. thanks. case closed. 🙂