This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
June 25, 2019 at 10:35 am

attilaN

I am trying to:

Renewing WPML subscription and update components (see attached the versions before and after).

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

hidden link

I expected to see:

Site admin page and live site in Hungarian (as translated by WPML).

Instead, I got:

Site admin page in English and also live site partly in English.

June 25, 2019 at 6:13 pm #4086653

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

please review your sites backend now and let me know your results

within WPML-.Theme and Plugins localization ->Setting the option to " Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation and always load .mo files as backup" resolves the issue as it was set not to load .mo files.

July 8, 2019 at 7:36 am #4159589

attilaN

Dear Bobby,

This worked but some of the translations have been reset to English from hungarian, e.g. "Read more":
hidden link
... or e.g. "Recent posts", "By", "Posted" and "In":
hidden link

Could this update be the reason?

FYI, I am trying to recall if I uploaded a theme framework po file in the String translation menu or simply uploaded by FTP.

Please advise.

Thank you and kind regards,
Attila

July 8, 2019 at 8:50 pm #4165739

Bobby
Supporter

Hi Attila,

In the front page the string "Read More" for the button is correctly translated through
WPML->String Translation

but when visiting the blog page it is not and only shows "READ MORE".

being that the Hungarian page is actually the default language of the site , the translation of the string "READ MORE" should be done through .mo/.po files from your theme framework as this is where it originates from and WPML is not controlling this.

for example if you deactivate WPML and its add-on plugins the string in the blog buttons does not switch back to Hungarian therefore this is not caused by WPML.

please confirm with me that with deactivated WPML and add-ons the issue remains

NOTE : WPML update by itself would not cause such issues as i have confirmed that deactivating it does not resolve the issue but what could possibly have happened is that if you had uploaded custom work within the previous WPML version once you update the plugin all your custom work is removed from within the WPML plugin

July 9, 2019 at 10:25 am #4169645

attilaN

Hi Bobby,

This is not the case.

The "read more" string in the blog page was originally in English a it was not controlled by the site language but provided by the Jupiter theme framework (in English).

Yes I have been using .po/.mo files for translating the theme framework and also for translating some of the plugin texts and I have uploaded the using the WPML -> String translation -> import .po function.

This has worked (i.e. the Hungarian translations have been displayed) until the recent WPML update / account renewal. I have not touched any of the uploaded .po files.

May I guess that the WPML update has lost connection with the previously uploaded .po files and could you please chek if this is the case?

Attila

July 9, 2019 at 6:00 pm #4173649

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

how did you upload the .po files ? were they uploaded manually or through WPML String Translation Dashboard.

do you still have these .po files ? what are your results if you go to WPML->String Translation -> Upload .po files

an update should not cause problems with previously uploaded .po files unless they were uploaded manually through the FTP

July 10, 2019 at 8:18 am #4177229

attilaN

Hi Bbobby,

I have uploaded one file via FTP and one or more via the String translation dashboard.

Yes, I have the FTP-uploaded file saved on my PC.

Attila

July 10, 2019 at 4:59 pm #4183081

Bobby
Supporter

The FTP uploaded file would of indeed been removed with the update of WPML then as the files are changed

did uploading it again resolve this issue ?

July 15, 2019 at 8:19 am #4208187

attilaN

Hi Bobby,

I have now copied the FTP uploaded files to the child theme language folder and now the missing translations are back.

I also checked that the FTP uploaded files have NOT been removed from the main theme (and also re-uploading them there does not help resolving the issue) so please advise what exactly have happened with the plugin update regarding the uploaded translations?

Attila

July 16, 2019 at 4:29 am #4216033

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

if the files were not placed within WPML's folder unfortunately i do not see a possible way for them to have been removed or affected by the update.

i do believe that the correct placement is the child theme for such files though and not the parent theme.

July 16, 2019 at 6:35 am #4216541

attilaN

Hi Bobby,

I will keep uploaded translations in the child theme.

Something is still not clear around the recent update or renewal.

There is a Woocommerce e-mail designer (Kadence) where I have translated strings of the notification emails via String translation. See attached the example for the string "Product".
Basically all Kadence e-mail designer strings do not show their translation but the original English keywords. See also attached.

Now I see that the same applies for an other domain: Yith Woocommerce request a quote. The notification emails' texts are English again. See also attached.

Please advise.

Attila

July 16, 2019 at 9:26 pm #4223927

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

as we try to keep each ticket to 1 issue if possible please open a new thread for this String Translation issue as it will require some additional debugging steps and could be related to a compatibility issue

Kind Regards,
Bobby