Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices.

Last updated by Gianluigi 6 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
June 17, 2015 at 9:26 am #640296

dragosS

I am trying to:
I have a problem with string translations after re scanning in version 3.2.1 - they are not translating anymore. The default language was Romanian and translation English - now the string translation language states Romanian.
The option for the original string language is not showing on string translation section
URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link (romanian) hidden link(english)

I expected to see: romanian page on .ro and english page on .com

Instead, I got: mixed romanian and english when i use (wpml translate)

Also i have a gravity form that is not showing anymore on the English version (or if it shows it does not show the translation).

It was working just fine before the update

June 17, 2015 at 9:27 am #640298

dragosS

Updating to 3.2.2 did not fix the problem

June 17, 2015 at 9:39 pm #641054

Bruno

You mean your strings are configured for Romanian rather than English? If so, you must configure your strings always as English. For example, the widget titles, your theme settings, etc.

This is important to prevent strings from other languages are registered and create incompatibility.

For example, all strings of WordPress are in English, and most plugins are in English. You can read more in our documentation: https://wpml.org/faq/string-translation-default-language-not-english/

That is, all strings will be registered in English, then you can translate into the desired language.

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my answer and if I can help you with any other questions you might have.

Thank you.

June 18, 2015 at 2:25 pm #641677

Evollia

Exactly the same problem here. Updating to 3.2.2 did not fix the problem too. So you are telling us we need to translate in our theme every string and rescan the theme and retranslate everything ? It was working well before. I'm scared we will need to do that in every of our website using WPML (15+)

Thank you very much

June 18, 2015 at 7:03 pm #641849

Robert

I can't believe that this is true. In former versions it was recommended to use english but not obligatory. And with an update the feature is deactivated and no possibility to manage it correctly.
In my situation WPML translation management says that my strings are german and to take care about. In Strng translation there is no possibility to change it to english and also no easy possibility to change everything to the right language.
I think there is a proper percentage of users using a non english language as their main language also for String translation and you are disabling it and changing internally the main langue to english!!
Please fix it ...

June 18, 2015 at 7:36 pm #641875

dragosS

This is kind of annoying. Basically if you made your website in other language than English and translated after to english (like the most non english speaking people do )- tough luck, you have to change it.
Lucky i have only 58 strings to translate.

That does not explain why some strings do translate ok.

I found a kind of workaround - changing the language in the mysql table. (Tricking the plugin that the string language is english) the only thing is that the domains display reversed (.com for Romanian and .ro for English ) I don't recommend this!

I hope you will find a fix for this, as is not a viable option and involves a lot of extra unplanned work.

For my other sites i will either try an earlier working version or other plugin.

June 18, 2015 at 9:23 pm #641920

Bruno

Dear @Evollia, @robert and @dragoss, usually the plugins and themes, as WordPress are in English. For this reason, the string translation is now by default in English.

It was just necessary for that reason. Because WordPress and almost all plugins and themes has its strings in English as the default language, it was causing conflict and confusion with other strings.

For example, register the string in another language and then scan for a plugin, themes or WordPress, created two languages in the string translation, some strings in English and other strings in other languages. This was causing confusion between strings.

In the previous version, when you select a language other than English for strings, a warning was displayed at the top of the page, showing that it was highly recommended use the strings in English. Now it becomes default.

I will contact our developers and ask about it.

Thank you.

June 23, 2015 at 8:45 am #644121

Gianluigi

Hi,
i'm having the same issue and my theme is broken. Any news about it?

June 27, 2015 at 7:50 am #647633

kennyv

Dutch is the default language on my website, with this new englisch default language update, I've got a weird issue.

I'm translating the custom post types from dutch to english

dutch url: site.nl/gebied/test
english url: site.nl/en/area/test

The english url returns a 404, page not found. If I change the English slug (page name) to "test1" it works. Or if I translate it from english TO dutch it also works, but I need to translate it FROM dutch TO english. How can I fix this?

July 2, 2015 at 12:15 pm #651242

fernando-joseL

Good Afternoon,

What about those websites that have English language? I think it's a very bad solution. You should be able to choose the language of your chains by default, and that these were translated to the language you need.

What is also understand as an update might break your site ... It's something that should fix it, I understand.

Thank You,

July 3, 2015 at 7:13 am #651840

dragosS

Any news about the this? My strings still not translated after update,

July 3, 2015 at 7:08 pm #652450

Sergey

I agree, this should be fixed. It was working fine before, now it's broken.
WPML now made it impossible to translate a website that wasn't originally in English. Which is a pretty big deal for many users.

July 6, 2015 at 7:11 pm #653566

Bruno

Our developers are working on it, but unfortunately we do not have a deadline of when it should be released. You can read the announcement of our developer here:

https://wpml.org/2015/06/wpml-3-2-released/comment-page-1/#comment-1396025

Thanks for understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.

July 29, 2015 at 3:21 pm #669373

Gianluigi

Any news about this issue?

The topic ‘[Closed] After update do 3.2.1 – String translation was messed up.’ is closed to new replies.