This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
May 28, 2019 at 1:06 pm #3907251

marioM-39

I am trying to:
Everything worked fine, but after the update I have two menus
1 for english and 1 for german (default language).
the menus are not linked any more?
Therefore the langauge switcher does not work any more (because there is no language)
the pages are translated correctly - but the menus stay the same.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: whole page

I expected to see: the english menu when I switch to english language

Instead, I got: the menu of the german language

May 28, 2019 at 1:10 pm #3907259

marioM-39

It may be that I deactivated the plugin and activated it again. But other than that I do not thing that I did anything else but run the update

May 28, 2019 at 6:06 pm #3909301

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

please go to Menus and let me know if you can link the 2 menus together.

you can go into the secondary language menu and then assign a translation to it "translation of.." [see screenshot]

afterwards also go to WPML->Languages-> Add menu language switcher and make sure the language switcher is added to the correct menu

let me know your results please

May 29, 2019 at 11:34 am #3914943

marioM-39

Hello Bobby!
Thanks for your help.

I tried what you were suggesting, but it does not work.
In the meantime we tried to synchronise the menus - therefore all the menus are linked to the default language. We cannot change the language as the pulldown only has the default language. There is a non-existant english (2nd lang) verion of the menu linked. but it does not work.

On the screenshot xx-57 you will see:
the menu "topmenu" in german. it says it has a linked english version. when I click on translate
id see the screenshot xx-06

you see there is no menu - it sys I should create a new one

the third screenshot xx-01 shows you a menu that should be in english "sidemenu-english"
but it is linked to german. I cannot change the language because in the pulldown is only german. it says it is already linked to a menu of a different lang - but this is not correct.
when I click on translate I get the again an empty menu screen with the possibility to create a new menu

So the main question is :
x Can I un-link a menu? This would be great

thanks for your help

all the best
Mario

May 29, 2019 at 3:40 pm #3917039

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

As a test what are your results if you create a new menu and add the translation to it ?
It doesnt have to be a full menu just as a test.

There is a possibility that there could of been a mix up within the database table causing this , in which case it would almost be a quicker solution to re create the menu and add a new translation to it.

additionally if the above does not work i can take a closer look at the backend as well

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

The topic ‘[Closed] after update I have 2 menus – one in english and one in german (not linked)’ is closed to new replies.