This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Cristina 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Cristina.

Author Posts
October 2, 2018 at 8:16 am #2780659

gwynW

Wordpress 4.9.8
WooCommerce 3.4.5
PHP 7.0

I recently updated all my WPML components, and after I did this I checked my WooCommerce store frontend, and saw that the Product Image of two of my products were missing. Even when I checked my WordPress Media Library (in wp-admin) I saw they were missing from there as well - not even an entry for them. Although connecting through FTP I can see that these image files are still there.

I then restored a backup to an time before, and was able to narrow down the problem to specifically the WooCommerce Multilingual plugin. I now have all plugins apart from this one updated, and the site's working fine.

Because the site is currently in a working (with an old WooCommerce Multilingual plugin) I cannot show the problem. However, in case it may be useful, here are URLs of a Product Image that will work fine after the upgrade, and a Product Image that will disappear after the upgrade:

remains: hidden link
disappears: hidden link

Have any come across this problem before?

Thanks,
Gwyn.

October 4, 2018 at 4:22 pm #2788195

Cristina

Hello Gwyn,

thanks for contacting and sorry for the delays.

I do not recall any specific problem with the latest WooCoommerce Multilingual version, but looking at the date of the uploads in the slug of the pictures, this could be related to something that happened while the various bugfix versions came out in July this summer.

Did you try using the troubleshooting options in WooCommerce Multilingual? They are located in WooCommerce Multillingual > Settings > Troubleshooting page (link at the right bottom).

There you have an option to sync the product galleries and images. You find a similar option in WPML >Support > Troubleshooting page, where you can clear the WPML cache and clean up the language information. Here you also have the option to resynch images, pages and products. There is also an option to repair the post-type assignment that may help here.

If this happpened only on a few images, it may have been a very isolated issue to only one product. Would it help to update the original product and the translation?

You can look also in WPML > Media Translation if this particular image has been duplicated or translated. Maybe if that is related to just this one image, you can delete it from the product, save and add it again.

If you want to check it in the database, the images are stored as posts in the table _posts. Look if the post for the missing image maybe is not stored with the same post-type as the rest of images. In that case, correnting the post-type might help.

Kind regards,
Cristina

October 9, 2018 at 4:27 pm #2801097

gwynW

Hi Cristina, thanks for your advice. I now have a different problem that might be related but maybe not. I've opened a separate call for this https://wpml.org/forums/topic/shop-empty-in-default-lang-translated-lang-ok/ I will have to get this other problem sorted before I continue with this one. Thank you. Gwyn.

October 10, 2018 at 11:34 am #2803984

Cristina

Hallo Gwyn,

no problem with that. If may be a related issue. In that case, if the problem solves in the other thread you can just close here as too.

If the media issue persists, I can have a look at it.

Kind regards,
Cristina

October 10, 2018 at 1:46 pm #2804507

gwynW

Hi Cristina, strangely, the other problem has sorted itself out. So I decided to have a look at your recommendations. Since then I've upgraded my WooCommerce Multilingual to 4.3.6 to recreate the problem so that we can continue to troubleshoot. I tried the various refreshes/resync/clearing cache, but nothing seemed to work.

What I've done since then is to manually re-upload the image files for the products where they were missing *apart from one product*. I've left one product as-is so that we can fix the problem.

So, I now have one product in hidden link that has this problem. If you scroll down, it's called "Rogue Jones - Human Heart/Gogoneddus yw y Galon (MP3/FLAC/WAV)". The same is true on the English version of the store. The featured image is not displayed because its entry is missing from the product, and from WPML -> Media Translation, and also from the Media Library entirely (but the image file is still present on my hosting).

I've had a look in the database under wp_posts, sorted by post_title, and I can see no entry for the image that I mentioned, but all the other images are there.

Can you suggest our next steps?

Thanks,
Gwyn.

October 10, 2018 at 2:29 pm #2804779

Cristina

Hello Gwyn,

glad the other issue worked out. I you did nothing, it could be a cache issue (cache clearing after a time and the new settings appearing ok).

Regarding the two images, if the file itself is missing, it has been deleted. In that case you can't do anything else then upload it again.

I don't have a clue what could have happened here, but I could guess a few possible scenarios where just a some products could be affected:

- In a recent WooCommerce Update 3.3. there were changes regarding the image sizing to automatic image resizing. That may have affected some images. The changes are described here: hidden link. Mainly this would have gone unnoticed, but there were some sites reporting problems with thumbnails.

- If the products originally were in english at some point and the images were uploaded to the english version, they could have been deleted accidentally if the english product was deleted and it was the source language. In that case, the file itself may have disappeared.

- If there was any optimization plugin active to clean up the database, to smush the images or reduce the sizes, the original image may have been deleted too when optimizing the sizes.

So I really can't tell what happened. I the browser console I see on both languages two errors regarding jquery, but this should not affect the layout of the product. And it also happens on pages that show correctly.

Unfortunately I don't think this is something reconstructible or that it is related to WooCommerce Multilingual, otherwise it would affect all images or just one language. But issues with missing images would then just happen in the translations.

Could you check if that happens to a new created product?

If the new product has no problem with images it may have been a one-time-error and should be fine from now on.

Kind regards,
Cristina

October 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm #2805163

gwynW

Hello Cristina,

No, on the contrary, the image file itself IS NOT missing, it's still there (via FTP). It's everywhere else that it's missing - DB, wp-admin, front end.

Regarding newly created products, I can confirm that it happens with these as well. The product called "Carw - Feathers (MP3/FLAC/WAV)" was created after I opened this ticket. Please recall that at this point, I had NOT upgraded WooCommerce Multilingual from 4.1.2 to 4.3.6. The Feature Image of this product displayed just fine, on the back-end and front end. The site was left alone then for several days, until yesterday when I upgraded WooCommerce Multilingual. Not only did the 3 images disappear from the website and wp-admin like before, the same thing also happened to my newly created product "Feathers". Therefore, not only is this problem 100% linked to WooCommerce Multilingual, it is also happening on new products.

Thanks,
Gwyn.

October 10, 2018 at 5:15 pm #2805295

Cristina

Hello Gwyn,

sorry for the misunderstanding here.

What puzzles me is that this happend without you touching the site.

I am enabling the private reply box for your next answer, so I can take a look to verify the problem and ideally get a snapshot to debug the issue locally. I then would escalate this to the 2nd level support, to check if there is a bug here or if we can reproduce in a test environment.

If you prefer it, you can link also a duplicator file that I can install directly to test.

I am enabling also the debug information box to get some more information about your setup. You will find the debug info in WPML > Support > debug information. Just copy the text in the grey area and paste it into the field. This way I can see more about the settings and the site structure.

It would be good if you can provide me the WordPress debug.log too. This is not the WPML debug information, but the WordPress PHP errors log.

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY',false);

Whit these lines the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory, but will not be displayed online to avoid messing on the frontend.

If you can give access to FTP I can download the log from there, otherwise it would be enough topaste your debug.log to pastebin.com and provide me that link to the file.

Kind regards,
Cristina

October 12, 2018 at 3:41 pm #2812478

Cristina

Hello Gwyn,

thanks for the data, I logged in to have a look.

I see currently four images that have original language english and where the images files are missing, though there is a welsh duplicate registered in Media Translation.

But as the original is set to be the english media, the file is not there and just show the placeholder.

I saw that some of these blank images on the media library have titles with weird characters like "%2" in the title:

Examples:
Picture title:
rogue-jones-llun-hyrwyddo-1-gwe%2fpromo-photo-1-web

URLs:
hidden link

hidden link

,,,/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Rogue-Jones-Llun-hyrwyddo-1-Gwe%2FPromo-photo-1-Web3.jpg

Maybe that is something that plays a role here.

I will check if the latest WooCommerce Multilingual has a problem with that kind of names or slugs. The theme needs an update, but this should not play a role with single images.

If I don't find anything I will ask the 2nd Level support for help here.

Kind regards,
Cristina

The topic ‘[Closed] After upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.3.6, some images are missing from Media Library’ is closed to new replies.