Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
May 21, 2019 at 2:19 pm

nathanP-3

Hello,

I just switched the primary language of a bi-lingual site.

Old primary language was EN, secondary DE. Now primary is DE, secondary EN.

Before switching primary languages there were two sitemaps, site.com/sitemap.xml and site.com/de/sitemap.xml. I never set it up that way, it just worked after installing WPML.

Now something weird is happening. Generating a sitemap creates site.com/sitemap.xml, and it includes only DE links (DE is the new primary language).

I thought to change languages in WP admin and generate another sitemap and that looks like it's trying to work because it produces a link to site.com/en/sitemap.xml, but then that file is a 404.

And, I noticed that if I change a sitemap setting while in EN, then save and regenerate the sitemap, the sitemap overwrites the existing DE-only sitemap with a new one, same URL site.com/sitemap.xml, but then the new one includes only EN links.

I don't care if there is one or two sitemaps, as long as all the site links included one way or another.

I've resaved permalinks after changing primary languages but that did not seem to help.

Thanks and kind regards,

Nathan

May 21, 2019 at 7:06 pm #3858395

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Please follow this steps:
- Back up your site first before making any change, this is for security reasons.
- Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting link -> Apply the troubleshooting options pointed out in the attached image.
- Flush any cache memory that might exists.
- Deactivate/activate Yoast SEO plugin.

Could you tell me the result of the steps above?

Kind regards,
Carlos