Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by michaelL-27 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
February 8, 2020 at 10:16 am #5452093

michaelL-27

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I want the internal links on the English pages to point to the English pages

Is there any documentation that you are following?
No, I've tried to use the Translate Link Targets function, and then reset the perma structure but it doesn't help

Is there a similar example that we can see?
Look at the internal links in the bottom of these 2 pages - original in Danish and translated in English:
hidden link
hidden link

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

February 10, 2020 at 11:30 am #5461137

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I understand that you are having trouble translating a button link with the Elementor pagebuilder.

1. Which translation editor are you using to translate the page?
2. Are the links appearing in the editor for translation?

3. Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

February 10, 2020 at 1:15 pm #5462037

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I think there may be a problem with an element on that page that is preventing the system from translating normally.

Please see this page which is a duplicate of the page you referenced without the "Billede boks" element here:
hidden link
hidden link

As you can see, the links are translating as expected.
Could you now add back the one element that I eliminated and check if this duplicated page again has problems with the link?

Thanks

February 10, 2020 at 2:04 pm #5462449

michaelL-27

Hej Yvette,

I've added the "Billedbox" element again, and the duplicated page you made is still translating the English links correctly (I've run the Translate Link Targets, resaved permanent links and emptied the cache after adding the element again).

So I don't think it's this particular element is causing the trouble - I hve the same problem on all the other english pages, and almost none of the have used this element.

To mee, it seems like some kind of fetching error, where WPML can't connect to the correct links on the translated pages.

I've created this website on a temporary URL and moved it to the present URL after. Could the problem have something to do with that?

BR Michael

February 10, 2020 at 2:31 pm #5462563

Yvette
Supporter

You wrote: "..I've created this website on a temporary URL and moved it to the present URL after. .."

Hmm - maybe!

So the copy of the page is now translating correctly? I would then suppose copying the other pages would end up with the same result?

The curious part is that when I made a copy of the page without removing any elements, the links were still not working. I had to remove an element....and then the links worked as expected.

Would you mind installing a plugin called "Duplicate post"?
Then, try duplicating one of your pages in your default language that has translated links.
Duplicate post plugin will also make a duplicate of the translated post and link it as a tranlsation of the duplicated page.

On this newly duplicated clone of the page, are the links in the translated clone working?

February 11, 2020 at 6:47 am #5466493

michaelL-27

Hej Yvette,

your suggestion didn't work.

I found out, that if I duplicate the elements (buttons, image boxes) with links AND delete the old elements AND translate the new elements, then the links are translated correctly.

But I hope you can help me with a better/faster solution. Going through this procedure for each of the pages on the website will take me a couple of days. And because the WPML puugin caused the problem, I cant charge my customer for the time I use on correcting all elements with links.

BR Michael

February 11, 2020 at 7:40 am #5466783

Yvette
Supporter

I agree with you.

The last thing I can think of to try is to scan and fix internal links. Have you tried this?

WPML > Settings >Translate Link Targets

If this still does not work, please send me a copy of your site and I will then escalate this to our 2nd tier support group as per this article:
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

February 11, 2020 at 9:00 am #5467249

Yvette
Supporter

Just wanted to double check/confirm that the following action did not fix the issue:
WPML > Settings >Translate Link Targets

Thanks for the confirmation

February 11, 2020 at 9:16 am #5467415

michaelL-27

Yes, I've tried it several times, and also resaved the permanent links in the settings.

BR Michael

February 12, 2020 at 8:21 pm #5481099

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I installed your site on a local server and tried, as you did, to "Translate Link Targets". As in you case, it did not work.

I then deactivated all non-WPML plugins and changed the active theme temporarily to TwentyNineteen. I repeated the action of "Translate Link Targets".

This time, it worked.

I restored and re-enabled the plugins - the pages are showing the correct links. This suggests that one of the plugins or your theme was blocking the updates of the links.

Can you try this on your site?

February 13, 2020 at 6:47 am #5483453

michaelL-27

Hej Yvette,

It didn't work - despite destroying my website pretty bad.

It HAS to be something with your WPML plugins - I even found some links pointing back at the temporary URL.

BR Michael

February 13, 2020 at 10:50 am #5485193

Yvette
Supporter

I hear you. It is clear that our plugin cannot do the required work. I am now wondering if this is server related.

Are you able to create a staging site from the same Duplciator package that you prepared for me on your server? e.g. create a subdomain and install the package there - then send me the login credentials to this site so we don´t mess up your working site.

This way, if I escalate this problem, I can ask the 2nd tier supporters to go to your server. Right now, they will do the same steps I did with the package you sent and say the problem is with one of your plugins/theme that is blocking the update of the internal links.

Does this make sense?

February 13, 2020 at 11:12 am #5485511

michaelL-27

Hej Yvette,

Thanks for your reply.

If we continue like this it could take some time to get the problem solved.
My customer needs a perfectly working page, and I have to ensure that as fast as possible.

So I'll change all the links in imageboxes and buttons the manual way, to get a full functional page.

I've looked on the internet for other developers having similar problems, and there's a lot out there, so it seems you have a big issue here. I can't tell whether the problem is related to WPML, other plugins or the themes, but the vast amount of people having trouble with this, tells me that you perhaps should look into the basic function of translating the links.

Thanks for you efforts - much appreciated.

BR Michael

February 13, 2020 at 5:22 pm #5488783

Yvette
Supporter

I know. I have had at least 2 tickets in the last months where the scan did not work as it should. After going back-and-forth with development, unfortunately, the clients ended up closing the tickets. I can only imagine the did the changes manually like you are going to do.

What I will do is to add this forum thread and the duplicator package as yet another example of this issue. At least I know that the issue was replicable with this package.

My goal was to try to give you a workaround that will get you going on your own project and not to say that there is not an issue. As a "gatekeeper" for escalating issues, I must confirm them on a local server before I am allowed to send them up to development.

So, while I understand that you will go ahead and do the required adjustments manually, please also know that I will forward this ticket as yet another case of an ongoing issue.

I wait for your acknowledgement on this course of action.

February 14, 2020 at 5:58 am #5491823

michaelL-27

Hej Yvette,

it's Ok with me, I think it's important to get the problem solved.

Have a nice weekend.

BR Michael