This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
June 30, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Olivier

I am trying to: See all the pages of my site in 8 languages, with the language switcher in the footer section.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: It's not possible to see it on the front end site

I expected to see: My site in 8 languages (EN, FR, DE, ES, RU, NL, Chinese, Japanese), with the language switcher in the footer section.

Instead, I got: Only the english version on the front end. In the back end, the 8 languages are enabled, but all the pages are classified in English. I tried to manually classify some pages in the right language, but I can't see it on the front end, and still no language switcher. It's also impossible to correctly classify the home front page in another language than english.

Everything seems broken... Could you help me to fix this? Thanks forward for your help!

July 1, 2019 at 12:54 pm #4119137

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

I tried to access the backend to better check, but I get error 502 so I can't enter. When did this happen, after the latest WPML update? If so, it might be some kind of database corruption.

Could you try to go to WPML -> Support -> troubleshooting and click on "set language information" button?

July 1, 2019 at 1:33 pm #4119409

Olivier

Hello Laura,

Strange you couldn't login. There was maybe an issue with my provider... I tried to login with the user name and password I gave you, and it's now working.

I guess the issue is linked with the latest update. I restored the database at a previous date with the tools of my provider, but it didn't help.

Clicking the "Set language information" button doesn't help neither...

For info, all the languages are displayed in the wpml settings:

Array
(
[hide_upgrade_notice] => 4.2.7
[icl_capabilities_verified] => 1
[active_languages] => Array
(
[0] => en
[1] => es
[2] => de
[3] => fr
[4] => ja
[5] => nl
[6] => ru
[7] => zh-hans
)

The language of the wpml menu is also corrupted (see image)

I hope you can now login to check this by yourself. Thanks again for your help!

July 2, 2019 at 11:22 am #4126321

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

finally, I managed to access your site, and I checked your database as well.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seems an issue we can fix. I don't know what caused the problem, but if a 2 weeks backup still showed the issue, I don't think it was caused by the latest update.

It seems like WPML was reset and reconfigured, in that case all content would be in the default language like it's on your site now.
I also asked for a second opinion, but it seems that the only option is to reconnect the translation manually, if you don't have a working backup to restore.

July 2, 2019 at 11:54 am #4126511

Olivier

Hello Laura,

It's not the first time my site is broken after a WPML update...
Each time, I also try to restore a backup of the database and it never helps...

I haven't made any other changes or update. I don't understant

Even if I classify manually all the pages, the language switcher is still missing in the footer section.

It's also not working for the front page. I can't change the language. Should I start from scratch?

This is really bad news...

July 2, 2019 at 12:03 pm #4126551

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

if you have issues after each update, it may be a corruption of the database or some server issues. I don't have elements to tell.

If you don't have pages in other languages, it's expected for the language switcher not to show. If you reconnect your home page to its translation, does it appear again?
If not, could you try to delete it and create a new one?

July 2, 2019 at 1:52 pm #4127565

Olivier

I just figured out that the pages in another language than english are not visible because all the menus are also gone...

I will have to rebuild the complete website from scratch...

July 3, 2019 at 10:53 am #4135099

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

the menus have the same problem as the pages: they are all in English. The pages in other languages aren't visible because they do not exist (in the language), if you go for example to hidden link you are redirected to hidden link, which is what happens if there isn't a translation.

Unfortunately, from the data I have, I can't tell you what happened. If you don't have a backup to restore, the only solution really seems to connect pages manually.
If you experience issues with any update, I would consider doing some research about your hosting, because that would be really unusual.

July 6, 2019 at 1:59 pm #4155969

Olivier

Hello Laura,

The 8 menus were indeed in english. I manually corrected the languages to have one menu per language, but it doesn't help. The pages I manually redirected to the correct language are displayed in the right menu (in the menu section of the backend site), but the language switcher is still not available in the footer.

Could it be possible that all the pages in another language than english are now considered as an original page and not a translation of the english pages? it's the only explanation I have... Is there a solution to fix this, or do I have to create new translations for all the pages?

In 8 years this is the worst situation I have to face... Thanks again for your help.

July 8, 2019 at 1:15 pm #4162741

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

>Could it be possible that all the pages in another language than english are now considered as an original page and not a translation of the english pages?

It's exactly what happened. As I said here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/some-taxonomies-in-your-site-are-forced-to-be-untranslatable-this-is-causing-a-4/#post-4162727
"It seems like WPML was reset and reconfigured, in that case all content would be in the default language like it's on your site now."

So no translations exist anymore if the pages are all in English.
You can change the pages' language in the edit page (there is a dropdown on the right sidebar) and set them as a translation before (with the dropdown "this is a translation of")

July 10, 2019 at 8:07 am #4177093
Olivier

Hello Laura,

I confirm that the complete site is broken. It took me 3 days to try to rebuild the pages and the menus...

I didn't see the "This is a translation of" in the dropdown menu, but "Language of this page". When I changed the language, it was not possible to link it as a translation of the original english page. I had to copy/paste manually all the content...

I still have to do this operation for all the posts and it's the same problem (see picture). I made a test with one post in spanish. The URL is correctly linked to the language:

hidden link

But it's not indicated as a translation of the original english post. How could I fix this? I'm affraid I will also have to manually copy/paste all the content if I want to link it with the original posts...

I also still have an issue with the products. I can't translate the attributes (color and size) with Woo Commerce Multilingual. When I select the attribute to translate, the data is stuck in "loading"...

Could you have a look and help me? Thanks again

New threads created by Laura and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/attributes-translation-page-doesnt-load/

July 10, 2019 at 11:48 am #4179697

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

as I said, you have to:

1. change the language of non-English posts
2. link them to the English post

Please see the screenshot attached. I managed to link the Shock! Spanish post to its English original.

As for the other issue, I'll split the ticket since is not related to this one.