This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.07 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by David 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: David.

Author Posts
June 11, 2018 at 6:56 pm #2406062

julianZ-4

I am trying to: I'm adding new custom taxonomies to my site. The alternative language code is not showing within the html source code. There should be something like this:

<link rel="alternate" hreflang="de" href="hidden link" />
<link rel="alternate" hreflang="fr" href="hidden link" />

Instead, there is nothing.

It worked (and still works) on taxonomies I added some months ago. All new taxonomies I add have no alternative language tags alltough the pages are translated. You can see example in screenshots. "Globus 1" translated in the system, "Globus 2" no alternative language in French, "Globus 3" Alternative language works perfectly on the german site.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
good: view-source:hidden link
bad: view-source:hidden link

I expected to see:

<link rel="alternate" hreflang="de" href="hidden link" />
<link rel="alternate" hreflang="fr" href="hidden link" />

Instead, I got:

Nothing

// Added a screenshot with the activated option "Display alternative languages in the HEAD section."

June 12, 2018 at 7:33 pm #2409462

David
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

At first sight, it seems to be some kind of conflict with the theme.

I need you to test a couple of thins:

1) Can you try switching temporarily to a default theme to confirm its related with the theme?

2) Can you try displaying alternate languages later in the head section? (see screenshot)

Let me know how it goes.

June 13, 2018 at 12:20 pm #2410893

julianZ-4

Hello David

Thanks a lot for your response. It was neither of the two but I know now what the cause of the problem is. I think it's a bug within WPML.

My custom taxonomy is like a category / tags page. If this page has no content (yet), the alternative language is not displayed in the source code. As soon as I add a demo content, the alternative language is displayed.

So now I have the problem that on some pages in French, there are no posts assigned yet. But on the German version, there are already posts assigned. As there is already a lot of informations on these pages without any assigned posts, it would be really great if you could bring up this issue to your developers.

Best regards

Julian

June 14, 2018 at 3:02 pm #2413751

David
Supporter

I can confirm the issue, good find!

I have reported to our development team and it will be fixed in a future release.

June 14, 2018 at 3:06 pm #2413754

julianZ-4

Hello David

Thanks for confirming!

Can you give me an ETA on when the bug will be fixed? Will it be more like a week, a month or several months?

I know it's hard to foresee, but an estimated time would help me decide what to do next..

Kind regards

Julian

June 25, 2018 at 1:07 pm #2432700

julianZ-4

Hello David
Do you have a feedback for me on this issue?
Best regards
Jluian

June 29, 2018 at 9:57 am #2444857

David
Supporter

The bug report was accepted by the development but hasn't been handled yet.
I will get back to you as soon as I know something else.

July 13, 2018 at 1:33 pm #2492238

julianZ-4

any news on this bug? I'd really need it resolved..

July 20, 2018 at 1:53 pm #2564678

julianZ-4

Hello?

I reported this bug more than a month ago and still no solution?

July 31, 2018 at 5:55 pm #2599513

David
Supporter

Just a short update:

- Its fixed in our development version and will be part of next release (most probably 4.0.6)

August 1, 2018 at 7:39 am #2600831

julianZ-4

Thanks a lot David for the update!

Really appreciate that!

August 23, 2018 at 11:53 am #2670043

David
Supporter

4.0.6 is available as a beta if you want to try the solution to your problem.
https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-install-beta-and-development-versions-of-wpml/

August 23, 2018 at 3:39 pm #2670754

julianZ-4

Hi David

Thanks a lot! I will wait for the final version 🙂 I got in some troubles while testing some beta-plugins, so it's safer to wait.

Kind regards

Julian

September 4, 2018 at 11:54 am #2703190

julianZ-4

Hello david

I just wanted to update to your new version 4.0.6. unfortunately, after installation there is only a white screen instead of my website. I reverted to version 4.0.5. and everything works fine again.

I had a look at the html code on 4.0.6. -> only the first few lines were there, the rest not.

September 8, 2018 at 12:05 pm #2716762

julianZ-4

hello david. did you see my reply? Version 4.0.6. gives me a whitescreen.. is this a known problem?