This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.37 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
February 7, 2019 at 9:41 am


I am trying to edit the translated menus but I cannot see them.

Here is what what I mean:
hidden link

Only the English Menus display

February 7, 2019 at 8:43 pm #3172087

Mihai Apetrei

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Can you please tell me what are the exact steps you've taken when you created the German menu?

Normally, you were supposed to have the default language selected above, with the right flag and then use the steps below to translate the menu:

Can you please let me know if you followed those steps in the documentation?

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

February 8, 2019 at 7:58 am #3173579


Hi there,

I had done these steps last year (and then the multilingual part of the project was on hold so I had disabled WPML)

hidden link

As you can see from the video above, the menus appear to all be created, but I can't seem to access them. I also tried to create a new menu in German to see if I can use that to sync with the English Main menu, but that didnt' work.

It seems like the menus are stored someone but there is an issue and they are not accessible.

Any help would be we are planning for a launch next week.

February 8, 2019 at 6:32 pm #3176643

Mihai Apetrei

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)


I was able to find a menu in the German language by following the next steps:

- I logged into the WordPress admin dashboard
- I changed the language from the top (flags) to German
- then I went to Appearance > Menus and there it is

Can you please let me know if this is the one you were looking for?

It seems that it might have been created straight from this language, individually, so that's why it might not be connected to any translation.

However, you should be able to delete any German instance of a menu by simply being on the menu page (like the one in the screenshot I'm attaching and click "Delete"). After that, you should be able to simply go to the main language backend, under Appearances > Menus and follow the documentation (if you delete the German instance, instead of seeing that "pencil" edit icon, you will simply see just a "+" or you can also Synchronize it.

Can you please let me know if this is what you were looking for?

Please let me know.

Just a note: I don't work on weekends so if you answer me these days, I will be able to get back to you on Monday.

Looking forward to your reply!

Kind regards,

February 8, 2019 at 9:03 pm #3177080


Nope that is not it.

If you see, there should be 7 menus. These were created sepeartely after I realised I couldn't edit or even find the translated versions. I need the translated versions of ALL the English Menus for all countries.

They should be these:hidden link


February 8, 2019 at 9:14 pm #3177104


Actually not sure what is going on - but I created a new menu and translated and it seems to work.

February 11, 2019 at 12:45 pm #3182872

Mihai Apetrei

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)


Yes, the menu-creation process + translation seems to work just fine.

However, I don't know what was the exact process that you used to create the old menus. If you remember, that might help us understand things a bit better.

You could try to go through these steps, too:

❌ Before proceeding please make a full website backup! ❌

Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting

Press the following buttons:
• "Clear the cache in WPML"
• "Remove ghost entries from the translation tables"
• "Fix element_type collation"
• "Set language information"
• "Fix terms count"
• "Fix post type assignment for translations"

If that doesn't change anything, please make sure that you also run this test:

- disable all plugins except WPML and its add-ons
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again so that you can understand which plugin is causing that issue

If the issue happens even with the non-WPML plugins disabled:

- leave all the non-WPML plugins deactivated
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- try to recreate the issue now

Please let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,