This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by carlosD-28 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 13, 2019 at 11:33 am

carlosD-28

I am trying to translate AMP pages made with Ampforwp plugin and I am having 2 issues:

1- destination URL from the AMP hamburger menu to french leads to default homepage (no amp page and spanish)
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
I expected to see:
french amp page
Instead, I got:
hidden link (which leads to default mainpage spanish)
2- The WPML editor (classic and enhanced) does not see the AMP page texts to translate (created with Ampforwp "AMP Page builder") when you try to translate any page with AMP content you see the normal content but not the AMP texts, also it says it is 100% translated.

May 13, 2019 at 3:53 pm #3800339

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

First, it is important for me to mention that the AMP for WP – Accelerated Mobile Pages plugin is not officially compatible with WPML. And I can see a few reports about issues with this plugin in our internal documentation.

To see if we can help you with this issue we need to be able to replicate the two issues that you mention on a fresh WordPress installation. For this, I created a test website with a clean WordPress install. You can access it through this link:
hidden link
Through this link, you will be automatically logged in. (If nobody logs in the test site will be available for one week from today.)
Could you please install the AMP for WP – Accelerated Mobile Pages plugin on the test site and see if the issue is replicable on a clean WordPress installation?
Please configures WPML as it is set on your site.
Please also make sure that you are installing the latest version of the plugin.
The tell me exactly how I can see and replicate this issue.

Thanks,
Itamar.

May 16, 2019 at 11:43 am #3825581

carlosD-28

Ok, done.
Installed the plugin in the sand box as light as possible, the issue is there:
The WPML editor (classic and enhanced) does not see the AMP page texts to translate (created with Ampforwp "AMP Page builder") when you try to translate any page with AMP content you see the normal content but not the AMP texts, also it says it is 100% translated.
See the AMP page here (made to the hello world post...):
hidden link

Thanks in advance, kind regards

Carlos Derqui

May 19, 2019 at 4:26 pm #3842073

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Carlos.

Thanks for setting up the test site. I can see the problem on the test site.

I've found out that if I set the 'ampforwp_custom_content_editor' field to 'Translate' then it is possible to see the content of the text field on WPML's Translation Editor. Please see the attached screenshot. But unfortunately, the translation is not showing on the front-end.

I've investigated the issue further and found out that the authors of the plugin are offering a bridge plugin for WPML, which is called WPML Integration with AMP. You can see it and purchase it here. hidden link. You can also do it from AMP > Extensions > WPML for AMP. I'm sorry, but in such case, we can not offer support for the compatibility issue with the AMP for WP – Accelerated Mobile Pages. You would need to purchase the author's bridge plugin and work with it. And also if there are compatibility issues, then you should communicate the plugin's support.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

May 22, 2019 at 1:05 pm #3865867

carlosD-28

The people from ampforwp who are behind me all of this time but seem to be shy enough not to ask you directly say:

1 "regarding WPML's Translation Editor can you tell us, do we need to make changes in our page builder using the function content ampforwp_custom_content_editor and what exactly needs to be added?" (I do not have any idea what this is about but I guess you do...)

2 "installing WPML for AMP plugin in the test site would not make any difference as the content is related with the AMP page builder which is our Core plugin not with AMP WMPL extension" (they must know as they were the ones who installed the plugin in your test site...)

Sorry if it takes time for me to answer but as you see I have to wait for them to answer at every step...

Thanks in advance, kind regards

Carlos Derqui

May 23, 2019 at 2:12 pm #3876453

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Carlos.

Regarding point number 1, I think that the following link to our documentation can help the authors of the plugin.
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/

Besides that, please contact the authors and urge them to join our Go Global Program. You can find details about it here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/
We will be happy to cooperate with the authors in making their plugin officially compatible with WPML.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

May 28, 2019 at 10:26 am #3905673

carlosD-28

Thank you, I've been told the are going to join WPML compatible program.

May 28, 2019 at 10:27 am #3905677

carlosD-28

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!