This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.44 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
March 25, 2019 at 1:37 pm #3454013

martinW-38

For SEO reasons, I want to translate file names of images on my site. For example, I want the image file to be keyword-in-english.jpg on the english version of my site and keyword-in-german.jpg on the german version. Currently all languages will share the same file name.

Is there any functionality in WPML that helps make this happen? Best would be if I could upload an image and then also manage its file name with WPML in the same way I manage the title and alt tags for my images.

If not, how would you advise to do this while creating the least problems with WPML? Currently if I upload an image, it will be duplicated for each language of my site, normally this is good but not if I will need to upload the same image under a different title for each language

March 25, 2019 at 7:49 pm #3457835

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

In order to accomplish that, you can use the "WPML Media" plugin. I can see in the debug information that you already have it installed.

Please take a look here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/#when-to-use-wpml-media-translation

The Media Translation plugin allows you to upload “replacement” images for different translations. In this manner, you can translate the texts on the page using WPML’s Translation Management and provide replacement images for images that feature text which requires translation.

Please let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei