This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
June 12, 2019 at 1:32 pm #4004763

silmikko

Hi guys,

I am trying to:

Get an anchor link working on my English translation. In the Finnish it works as it should.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

The anchor link is removed at the moment. Below is a short description of it though.

I expected to see:

In the footer I've tried to a the following url to "Partners" button / text, hidden link. This redirects the browser to hidden link, which in fact does not give my 404 page but gives me the Finnish page of the "Services".

In the English version I have renamed the Finnish anchor "Aktiviteetit" in the English version to "Activities".

I have found this threat in the forum area but don't quite understand it:

It turned out that the issue was caused by the fact that you use the "Language name added as a parameter" setting for the language URL format. Theoretically, the URL works this way but having the language parameter with the anchor results in the site being refreshed.
I strongly recommend you to switch to the "Different languages in directories" option in WPML->Languages->Language URL format.
Then, you need to remember to change the URLs that you added manually, e.g. for the buttons in the Flowers page. I already switched the language URL format on your test site and changed the URL for the "BROWSE BY CATEGORY" button. You can see that now the page is not being refreshed.

Also, when you have WPML Translation Management, you can go to WPML->Translation Management->Multilingual Content Setup->Translate Link Targets and click the "Scan now and adjust links" button. This action adjusts links in posts and strings so they point to the translated content.
Afterward, you may need to go to Setting->Permalinks and re-save your settings to refresh your permalinks.

Please, take a look at this screen shot below:
hidden link

Once the translation is completed and everything working as it should, the site will be pushed to hidden link.

Should I do this change to fix this issue? Or is there something else that needs to be done?

Cheers,

Mikko

June 13, 2019 at 2:02 am #4008289

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Indeed, I would advise you to try the setting "Language in drectories" and then got to Settings -> Permalinks and simply click the "save" button.

This will not have any influence on your site, so no worries about that.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/

Further, did you try to translate the URL with String Translation? Also please go to WPML -> WP Menus Syzc and verify if the menu is in need of a sznchronization. If so please procced. In case there are additonal menu items that need to get translated with String Translation you will receive a notfication and a link at the bottom of the WP Menus Sync page.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Let me know if this solved the issue, otherwise I would like to take a look at the issue.

Kind regards
Andreas

June 13, 2019 at 8:37 am #4010625
silmikko

Hi Andreas,

This seems to fix the issue. Thank you for that. Then I have also another issue. Please take a look at the screenshots.

I'm using Elementor Pro to build the site. Now, every time there is a change in the translation, the page structure gets "broken". Nothing too big but something I need to fix each time.

1. The hero image moves downwards. This is how it should be hidden link
This is how it turns out hidden link

2. I have a price "tables". This is how it should should be hidden link.
This is how it turns out hidden link

I don't really know what happens when these issues occure. Sometimes all it takes is just to visit the translated page at the backend (no changes done) and after that the page is broken as shown is the screen shots. Not sure if this happens on some other page but on this one I still have a lot to do before it's ready.

Cheers,

Mikko

New threads created by Andreas W. and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-design-issues-on-translate-page-with-elementor-pro/

June 13, 2019 at 8:32 pm #4016867

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

In order to make it possible for other users to find a quick answer on similar issues I have opened a new ticket for your latest request.

You can find it here:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-design-issues-on-translate-page-with-elementor-pro/

I will be answeing on your new request in short time. Please do not answer on this ticket anymore if the anchor link issue got solved.

Kind regards
Andreas