This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by igorN-6 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
July 22, 2019 at 2:38 pm #4258823

igorN-6

Tell us what you are trying to do?

We created our website with EN-UK as its main region, as it was easier to translate from English and we had no subsidiary in UK that would need to add local content.

BUT, now we opened a UK subsidiary that wants to add local content.

We renamed "English UK" to "English Global" and created a NEW LANGUAGE called EN-GB.

Is there any way to transform the "English Global" in a Custom language and make WPML understand that the newly created EN-GB is British English and not a custom language?

Also: Letting it as "English Global" as "en" in the "Default locale" field generates error message about WordPress not being able to download translations... Can I repeat EN-US in this field?

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

July 22, 2019 at 8:33 pm #4261185

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

if i understand correctly you current site has EN-UK as its secondary language correct?

therefore you are using en (en-us) as your default language and en-uk as your secondary.

now you need to add one more for en-gb and switch the old en-uk to en-global.

"Is there any way to transform the "English Global" in a Custom language and make WPML understand that the newly created EN-GB is British English and not a custom language?"

=> To directly answer your question, unfortunately this is not currently possible

"Letting it as "English Global" as "en" in the "Default locale" field generates error message about WordPress not being able to download translations... Can I repeat EN-US in this field?"

=> This is because WP is automatically grabbing the existing .mo files from their database and "en" or "en-global" does not exist thus the warning.

it is ok to have the warning and it wont cause any problems other than the automatic translations from the .mo files of WP will not be pulled.

you can resolve it by using a default locale for English that exists in the list here
=> https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/teams/

also it is not possible to use the default locale with 2 different languages.

you can instead change the old language to a different default locale and this will open up the en-uk again to be used in the new language for example.

July 23, 2019 at 6:33 am #4263037

igorN-6

Thank you, that solves all my doubts.
Its a pitty I cant fix the swapped languages but I guess there wouldnt have any consequences of keeping as is.

Best Regards,
Igor