Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing an issue where the apostrophe (') is not displaying correctly in German translations. Instead of appearing at the top, it is displayed at the bottom. This problem occurs on all pages in German, and the client has noticed it with the name "'t Kasteelke".

Solution:
If you're experiencing a similar issue with the apostrophe not displaying correctly in your German translations, we recommend that you report this to the WP support forum and open a new support ticket.

You can open a ticket here:

Please note that the solution provided here might be irrelevant due to being outdated or not applicable to your specific case. If after checking the related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/ and confirming that you have the latest versions of themes and plugins installed, the problem persists, we highly recommend opening a new support ticket. For further assistance, please visit our support forum:
WPML Support Forum

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
March 24, 2024 at 9:23 am #15443659

lynetteO-2

Hello,

The apostrophe ' is not displaying correct in German. I want to write: 't Kasteelke, but instead the ' is not at the top but it is at the bottom. It happens on all the pages in German.
How do I solve this?

My website URL is: hetkasteelke.com

Many thanks.

Kind regards,
L.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 10.20.03.png
March 25, 2024 at 7:56 am #15444976

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

thanks for contacting us.

1) Can you please share what text are you translating to German when this happens?

2) Please share how are you translating this page, via automatic translation or manually adding it via WPML Advanced translation editor?

Thanks,
Drazen

March 25, 2024 at 8:01 pm #15448813

lynetteO-2

Hello,

1) The ' in German is not at the top but at the bottom on all pages. The name of the building is called " 't Kasteelke ", but it goes wrong in German everywhere.

2) The website is translated automatically, but I have checked the option "review before publishing". I check the translations by WPML -> Translations. In the translations menu it all looks correct, but once published it is not. I will upload a few more screenshots to show it.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Lynette

Screenshot_menu_German.jpg
Screenshot_menu_translations.jpg
Example_germanpublishedtext.jpg
Translation check.jpg
Published_Text.jpg
Screenshot_menu_Dutch.jpg
March 26, 2024 at 7:26 am #15449676

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello Lynette,

thanks for the additional info.

I have checked, and as you can also see from the translations are done correctly from WPML, but WordPress shows Apostrophes as per German standards on the front.

If you disable WPML and switch language in WP you will see these changes depending on the language and its standard. I am afraid there is not much we can from WPML do, as this is not caused by us. Also it is not a bug but standard how Apostrophe is shown in German, and will change if you use others, for example, French and etc.

Video: hidden link

Regards,
Drazen

March 27, 2024 at 4:17 pm #15457168

lynetteO-2

Hi Drazen,

Thank you for your reply.

I do think that is really strange, because in German the Aprostrophe is not used like that, so it is incorrect. The Apostrophe should be also in German displayed at the top.

Do you know if I can maybe report these kind of issues to WordPress directly?..

Regards,
Lynette

March 28, 2024 at 6:42 am #15458733

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello Lynette,

sure, you can report it to the WP support forum and open a ticket there, somebody will check it out and get back to you.

- https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/

Regards,
Drazen

March 30, 2024 at 2:01 pm #15466303

lynetteO-2

Thank you, hopefully I can solve it by contact with WordPress.

lynetteO-2 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-03-30 14:01:44.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.