This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
July 16, 2019 at 2:09 pm #4220879

Todd

Hi

I used CPTUI to create a custom post type for News. In German, this is Aktuelles.

Our German News page works fine - hidden link.

The English News page is not working publicly - hidden link.

What am I doing wrong here?

Todd

July 16, 2019 at 10:50 pm #4224363

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1.- I would like to ask you to visit this link where you will find our official documentation on how to translate custom posts types using WPML: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-posts/

2.- Please increase the PHP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );

- Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Kind regards,
Carlos

July 17, 2019 at 6:37 am #4226171

Todd

Hi Carols

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding #1 - the documentation you shared doesn't explain anything about Archive pages. I have however checked our settings for CPT - hidden link.

Regarding #2 - I have increase the memory limit to 256m.

We still have the issue though. The Archive page for the CPT News in English (secondary language) is not working.

Please advise further.

Thanks,
Todd

July 17, 2019 at 11:26 am #4229431

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Todd,
Thank you very much for your message.

I would like to ask you to follow this steps in order to check if the issue is created by the CPTUI plugin. I kindly ask you to add to your functions.php file (within the theme's folder) the example code that appears in this link https://wpml.org/2016/08/how-to-create-and-translate-custom-post-types/ under the "How to create “Custom Post Types”?" section.

Could you tell me if the issue happens with this test CPT too?

Regards,
Carlos

July 17, 2019 at 11:36 am #4229477

Todd

Hi Carlos

I honestly don't see how the issue is with CPTUI. I have 4 different CPTs (hidden link) and they're all working fine. Quite frankly, news is working fine in terms of translated content, the issue is specific to the Archive page.

I'd be happy to grant you access to the site if that would help you investigate further. The site is on a dev server at the moment.

Regards,
Todd

July 17, 2019 at 12:17 pm #4229835

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Todd,
Thank you for your message.

In this case I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Regards,
Carlos

July 17, 2019 at 2:09 pm #4231035

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Todd,
Thank you very much for the information provided.

I visited the site and I can see that none of the news are translated to English. Please translate the news (or at least one) and let me know if the issue persists.

Regards,
Carlos

July 17, 2019 at 2:24 pm #4231211

Todd

Hi Carlos

The news items don't need translation. They should just be duplicated.

Plus, as you can see, they're showing on the homepage as they should be in both languages.

What am I missing?

Todd

July 17, 2019 at 3:18 pm #4231667

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Todd,

If this is the case then you only needed to go to WPML -> Settings -> Post Types Translation -< And set 'News (aktuelles)' to 'Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language' -> Save the changes.

I just did the steps above and you can see the news appearing in both languages now.

Regards,
Carlos

July 18, 2019 at 7:07 am #4235581

Todd

Hi Carols

Thanks so much. It worked! Archive page is working in both languages now.

One last question regarding this - hidden link. I'd like to translate the "Read More" text to German, but, this is not coming up in String Translations.

I used the Widget Creator from Unlimited Elements (hidden link) to create this element. You can see the edit side of things at hidden link.

Can you help me with this?

Thanks,
Todd

July 18, 2019 at 11:54 am #4238291

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Todd,
I'm glad to hear that the issue is solved 🙂

Regarding the 'Read More' translation: I took a quick look at the site but I couldn't find where to translate this string. As this issue is different than the original one I kindly ask you to open a new ticket describing the issue. This way we will be following the forum's rule of one ticket per issue. This will also help future clients to find answers to similar questions.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos