Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:Assign all the contents related to a language to a different one

Solution:there are 2 ways you can "assign" the translations to another language.

1. Use the batch duplication feature through WPML Translation Management

go to WPML->Translation Managmeent -> select the pages/posts and duplicate to the new language.

2. Go to Pages->Edit page (make sure its through the WP Editor) -> on the right of the page you can change the language of this page.

Relevant Documentation:

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Apulia Vending s.r.l. 2 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
August 30, 2018 at 7:52 am #2688813

Apulia Vending s.r.l.

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I set pt-br as secondary language and translated everything to that language. It like to switch to pt and assign all the translations to this last one.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
None.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
I don't think so.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

August 30, 2018 at 11:50 am #2689877

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

i would like to make sure that i fully understand the current issue.

you have created a new language for Portueguese with the language code "pt" and want to use that instead of the "pt-br" ?

there are 2 ways you can "assign" the translations to another language.

1. Use the batch duplication feature through WPML Translation Management

go to WPML->Translation Managmeent -> select the pages/posts and duplicate to the new language.

2. Go to Pages->Edit page (make sure its through the WP Editor) -> on the right of the page you can change the language of this page.

view screenshot.

August 30, 2018 at 1:28 pm #2690266

Apulia Vending s.r.l.

Hi Bobby,
I did not create a new language, I would just use the default pt language. Anyway you already partially answered my question, but what about all the translated strings widgets menu etc?

Thanks.

August 30, 2018 at 4:57 pm #2691430

Bobby
Supporter

Through WPML->languages you can also change your default language to Portuguese .

doing this should change over your menus and widgets as well, have you tried switching over to the default language ?

August 30, 2018 at 5:20 pm #2691485

Apulia Vending s.r.l.

When I wrote "default pt language" I just meant that I used the pt language provided by WPML.
So my question is: is there a way to avoid translating all the strings ect. and assign all the translations from pt-br to pt?

Please let me know if I've been clear enough.

Thanks.

August 30, 2018 at 5:48 pm #2691526

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the explanation

Apart from the options provided above we currently do not have a way to automatically do this for strings , menus , widgets other than re adding the translation as you would with any other language.

Note: I suggest going to WPML->Translation Management-> and look under the filter for "type" anything that is picked up by the translation management you will be able to batch duplicate and save some time

August 30, 2018 at 5:49 pm #2691527

Apulia Vending s.r.l.

Ok Bobby, thank you for your kind and clear help.