Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

How to assign a translated child page to a different translated parent page with one to many relationships (Toolset).

Solution:

You should always start by creating related content in the default language. Then, translate the posts that you have connected. You do not need to maintain connections between translations.

When it comes to translating related content, there are some additional restrictions you should consider:

• You cannot connect posts that do not have a default language version.
  • Deleting a post in the default language will delete any associations for versions in other languages as well.
  • You should never change the site’s default language after the post relationships are already set. This will likely break the site altogether.

Relevant Documentation:

https://toolset.com/documentation/translating-sites-built-with-toolset/translating-related-content/

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year, 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
August 16, 2018 at 7:10 am #2648658

mikeE-8

This is a WPML and Toolset issue, but I don't know if it should be posted here or Toolset. This problem occurred after migrating post relationships to Toolset 3.

We have Newsletters (parent) and Articles (child) in a one to many relationship. Many Articles can be assigned to 1 Newsletter.

Before the migration, when we translated an Article, it needed to be assigned to a different Newsletter that did not have a default language copy.

However, after the migration, we're unable to assign an translated Article to a different Newsletter. It stays assigned to the default language Newsletter, but this doesn't make sense for our site.

For example:

English:
Newsletter: January 2018
Articles:
Article A
Article B
Article C

Newsletter: February 2018
Articles:
Article D
Article E

Spanish
Newsletter: March 2018 (No corresponding English version.)
Article A (translated into Spanish from the English Newsletter: January 2018)
Article E (translated into Spanish from the English Newsletter: February 2018)

How do we assign the translated Articles to a Newsletter that is not a translation of the default language?

Thanks

August 16, 2018 at 10:41 am #2649312

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

Thank you for contacting the WPML support forum.

I'm consulting my teammates (also from Toolset) on this issue and I'll get back to you here when I have more information about this issue. Currently, I'm trying to find out if it is a known issue.

Regards,
Itamar.

August 16, 2018 at 10:57 am #2649360

Itamar
Supporter

Hi again.

I have an answer from a senior supporter at the Toolset support forum.

The explanation to what goes wrong in your case can be found in our documentation here.
https://toolset.com/documentation/translating-sites-built-with-toolset/translating-related-content/
The main points are the following.

You should always start by creating related content in the default language. Then, translate the posts that you have connected. You do not need to maintain connections between translations.

When it comes to translating related content, there are some additional restrictions you should consider:

• You cannot connect posts that do not have a default language version.
  • Deleting a post in the default language will delete any associations for versions in other languages as well.
  • You should never change the site’s default language after the post relationships are already set. This will likely break the site altogether.

Please let me know if this information is helping you understand the issue that you have on your site and solve it.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

August 16, 2018 at 9:05 pm #2651457

mikeE-8

Thanks Itamar,

I've opened the ticket with Toolset support to discuss the issue further. The new post relationships setup that Toolset forces on us unfortunately breaks all the translations on the entire site. The relationships described above weren't a problem in previous versions of Toolset so we will likely need to look for a different plugin or custom code what we need. We'll continue to use WPML.

August 16, 2018 at 10:20 pm #2651535

Itamar
Supporter

Thank you for continuing this issue with the Toolset support.

Cheers,
Itamar.