This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by ioannisZ-3 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
January 24, 2019 at 12:38 am #3122811

charleneR-2

I am trying to: Use ATE Translate automatically button

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: inside admin

I expected to see: For it to translate the sentences on the page like it has been doing

Instead, I got: A message that popped up saying, "You need more machine translation words to automatically translate this entire document - button says - "Buy words". I was told that using ATE was free with my paid cms account and because I bought it when I did, it will always be free. Why the message?

January 24, 2019 at 4:46 pm #3126173

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hi!

Thank you for your message.

Our machine translation service offers y free translation for new subscribers for the first 2000 words. After that amount you will need to purchase a package to keep using the service.

Please read the following documentation for more information.

https://wpml.org/2018/12/machine-translation-quotas-for-wpmls-advanced-translation-editor/

Kind regards
Andreas

January 24, 2019 at 8:29 pm #3126969

charleneR-2

When I double checked with sales before starting I was told that anyone who subscribes now while the automatic translation was new, will be able to use ATE's automatic translation for free forever (before you add your paid plans) and nothing was said about being asked to buy words later or there being a limit. It was an incentive to get people to subscribe right away. So I jumped on it and signed up. I notice the date of the post you link to is 12-2018. I asked the question before this notice was published and I double checked at the time to make sure that I understood the answer. It looks like there has been a mistake with the status of my account and the promise that was made to me.

January 24, 2019 at 10:49 pm #3127249

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi!

Indeed, machine translation was introduced with the release of the Advance Translation Editor in WPML 4.0. for which while the machine translation module was on beta the service used to be free.

For more information please read this release article from June 2018. It is explained there that this feature is provided by the Azure’s MT engine. The last paragraph actually clarifies that as long the feature is on beta it is for free and that after launch we’ll arrange very convenient pricing for people with Lifetime accounts.

https://wpml.org/2018/06/machine-translation-available-in-wpmls-advanced-translation-editor/

I am sorry that you are not satisfied about the quotes but if you take a look into it you might realize that this feature is way more convenient that contracting professional translators or a translation service.

Please let me know if there is something else I can do for you.

Kind regards
Andreas

January 28, 2019 at 7:33 pm #3137364

charleneR-2

I see. I did not understand that it only applied to beta. Please consider the circumstances we have encountered. 1. The software is still not functioning properly. Your tech support has acknowledged a bug I found where translations jobs are not accurately marked as complete. This has caused us to spend a lot of extra time trying to get the software to work and reporting the problem to support until they finally saw there is an issue. For this reason, the software still behaves as if it is "in beta". 2. There was also another tech glitch where none of our jobs would save. All 4 of us from different locations experienced it. Clicking the Finish button never presented the final "Complete" button. Because of this we were constantly going back in and trying to complete or re-translate the job to get it to complete and save. I believe that because of this we used up our 20,000 words much faster. Also, because it wasn't clear we didn't even know we needed to be careful because there was a limit. My request is that you reset our limit of words and not start requiring us to pay until you get the software working properly. And if there is a way to get the Translation Manager to show that jobs are complete and stay that way, please explain how to do that so that we can move forward productively and stop waisting so much time. I think this is fair.

January 28, 2019 at 7:44 pm #3137374

charleneR-2

I just read the link you sent me. On that page it says, "Machine translation is right now available inside the Advanced Translation Editor. While it’s in beta, it’s also free. Folks with renewal plans will continue to have complementary access to this great new editor when it comes out of beta. We’ll arrange very convenient pricing for people with Lifetime accounts." Looking at my account it appears to be a "renewal plan". The above statement says that I will continue to have "complementary access". Complementary means free.

January 29, 2019 at 10:23 pm #3141783

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi!

As mentioned in our documentation the machine translation feature was in a testing phase and for this reason as long the beta was running the service was free to use. We decided to offer this feature without any cost in this test phase as we were expecting errors that still needed to be fixed before the final release.

Sadly we are not able to credit any free words to your WPML account. If you are still interested in using this service you might consider purchasing a package of words for your project.

We hope for your understanding.

Kind regards
Andreas

January 30, 2019 at 11:32 pm #3145816

charleneR-2

Please explain how I can interpret this phrase any other way than meaning - even when it comes out of beta it will still be free to "folks with renewal plans". I have a renewal plan and not a lifetime plan. "Folks with renewal plans will continue to have complementary access to this great new editor when it comes out of beta."
Trying to understand the contradiction,
Charlene

January 31, 2019 at 7:09 pm #3149518

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

Please let me quote the last paragraph of the publication article from June 2018:

"Machine translation is right now available inside the Advanced Translation Editor. While it’s in beta, it’s also free. Folks with renewal plans will continue to have complementary access to this great new editor when it comes out of beta. We’ll arrange very convenient pricing for people with Lifetime accounts."

It is not said there that the service will be to use for free. It says literally "While it’s in beta, it’s also free." Complementary access means that "We’ll arrange very convenient pricing for people with Lifetime accounts."

Further, I have to add that lifetime accounts are not longer available in our offer. We are currently offering the Multilingual Agency package for using WPML on various websites. all current subscriptions for WPML are on yearly base.

https://wpml.org/purchase/

As I mentioned earlier sadly we do not have any possibility to credit free words to your WPML.org account. We as company do pay for the usage of this service and this is why we have to charge a fee from our customers in turn.

I would like to kindly ask you again to purchase a word package in order to keep using the service.

Then, if you want to get more machine translation (which we pay for), you can buy tiny, medium or large chunks of quota:

Personal: $0.99 – 1500 words ($0.667 / 1000 words)
Business: $9.99 – 20000 words ($0.5 / 1000 words)
Publisher: $49.99 – 150000 words ($0.333 / 1000 words)

Source: https://wpml.org/2018/12/machine-translation-quotas-for-wpmls-advanced-translation-editor/

Kind regards
Andreas

February 4, 2019 at 11:22 pm #3159590

charleneR-2

Where do I go to purchase a words package for ATE? The link you sent me takes me to where I buy the initial package. I have already purchased that. I don't see an option on that page to purchase words.

February 5, 2019 at 2:48 pm #3162493

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

While being inside the Advanced Translation Editor your should find the option to "Buy words". This option is only available when there are not more words available for machine translation. You should be able to simply click the "Buy words" button and then get forwarded to the purchasing process.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

Screenshot: hidden link

February 5, 2019 at 6:29 pm #3163324

charleneR-2

I remember seeing that when logged in with a translator's login. Since they aren't the owners of the account I was thinking there was a way that I could just buy the words from my account. I have one question. If I make my Translation Manager login approved to be a translator, and then open a translation job to get into the ATE, and then buy words there, will the be available to all three different translators who are working on this site?

February 5, 2019 at 9:05 pm #3163676

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

Please have a look at the comments on this documentation:

https://wpml.org/2018/12/machine-translation-quotas-for-wpmls-advanced-translation-editor/

Credits for machine translation are for the whole site, which includes all the users. Anyhow, single users can purchase credits.

The Translation Manager can assign himself a role as translator as well.

Here the full documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/

Let me know if you do have any further question.

Kind regards
Andreas

February 6, 2019 at 12:13 am #3163795

charleneR-2

Thank you for that clarification. Now I would like to provide extra clarification for you. At the beginning of this thread I asked WPML to honor the special offer made to customers purchasing ATE while it was in beta. I went back to the pre-sales posts and found the statement from your support person. On 11-13-18, Agnes Bury responded to customer Milan saying, "After the official release, ATE will become a paid service. But the good news is that every website registered to use ATE when it's in beta, will be able to use it for free forever. So let's say you have the X site. You register ATE for it now. You will be able to use ATE for that site always for free, even after ATE becomes a paid service/feature." I purchased WPML for one client's site on 11-16-18 in order to take advantage of that offer. Notice my post on the same page next to Milan's. I had read it at that time and it was because of this that I made a quick decision to buy. The link you cited with the announcement of pricing was dated 12-18-18. I still think it is appropriate for me to ask you to honor that promise made to your customers.

February 7, 2019 at 4:56 pm #3171574

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hi,

The comment from 11-13-18 posted by Agnes Bury mentions that the Advanced Translation Editor will remain a free feature.

It does not say that the machine translation feature will remain free. I would kindly ask you to take note again that we do pay for the use of this machine translation feature which is why since ATE came out of beta this feature is now only available for customers who purchase word packages after using there free amount of 2000 words.

Kind regards
Andreas