This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.41 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by George Botsev 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: George Botsev.

Author Posts
November 29, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Thierry

Hi, George,

As discussed in this thread: we are using Redis Object Cache on our server and are having issues.

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/redis-compatibility/#post-9718545

– Sometimes the menu will display in the wrong language (you'll notice that in the english version, the french menu shows)
– Sometimes the second page of the shop will give a 404 on the second domain
– When Redis Cache is activated, the settings to have the languages on seperate domain flips back to languages per folder.

Attached are the credentials to log into the website.

November 30, 2017 at 9:51 am #1445570

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Thank you for providing more details here.
I will take a look...

November 30, 2017 at 3:33 pm #1446090

George Botsev
Supporter

Okay, I visited your site and tested a bit during the day with it.
My findings:
-I managed to see that the menu translations become stuck in the first visited language - e.g. if you visit French first and then switch to English - they will be still in French. Clearing the Redis cache from the backend from the Setting > Redis page - resets the cache and the proper strings are visible for the time being.
For this, I need to ask more questions here about the Redis configuration - if you know how the Redis server is configured?
In our previous tests we were unable to reproduce these issues with default configured Redis cache.
I also would like to ask if you will permit me to take a temporary clone of your site in its current state - for further investigation in our servers and local environments.
This will allow me to pin-point the bug - provided that I am able to reproduce the issue.
-I was unable to reproduce the issue with the second shop page. My guess is that there could be some other plugin that is interfering - by triggering a certain action. The problem is that we don't know which action triggers this, so we need steps on how to reproduce this. e.g. if it is known that the 156th visit to the shop page /2/ triggers the issue - then this is what we should debug, but at this time I need more information from you about this.
-I was unable to reproduce the issue with the settings to have the languages on seperate domain. Yes, I did not deactivate your Redis cache, because I am afraid to do that until you confirm that I am allowed to do this on this site, but if it switches back - then this could be another cache issue - probably if the previous value was set to "in directory" and the cache was not flushed?

November 30, 2017 at 3:35 pm #1446095

George Botsev
Supporter

Also I forgot to mention.
I see that you are using a caching plugin and a security plugin.
It is wise course of action to test with them first disabled.
Of course - I will do that only once your verify that you are okay with that.

November 30, 2017 at 3:43 pm #1446104

Thierry

Hi George,

thank-you for the quick help. It is very appreciated since the website will be featured on a big audience tv show and the website will crash if redis is not activated, because of other performance issues that are currently being dealt with in another support thread.

This is our staging site so you can duplicate it and even play around with it.

1 - The Server is a dedicated server that is managed by serverpilot (serverpilot.io). The redis cache was configured using the following instructions:
hidden link
hidden link

2 - Like the menu issue, the second page issue is not constant. I'm assuming it happens once enough people visit the site. I am pretty sure that by solving the first issue, this one will go away as well.

3 - We have been having several issues with admin strings and settings not saving at all. For example, when saving the strings from YITH wishlist in their settings, it wont save. Doing it again and again might work after 20 times. Same issue with Yoast SEO meta stringss (example: the title and description for the shop page). On top of that, they are not being sent to string translation. Also, when activating Redis, sometimes the WPML language settings (domain vs. folder) will switch automatically. Once again, this is intermittent.

November 30, 2017 at 4:48 pm #1446160

George Botsev
Supporter

I've got a duplicator package.
FYI: In my experience with performance, you might want to try disabling Query Monitor plugin and probably WordFence. I have noticed that they create a lot of issues in performance and some times even with translations.
I have to ask for your patience here, as debugging such caching issue is a bit hard and lenghty process and we might not be able to fix it soon. Perhaps you should consider turning Redis off, as we might not be ready in debugging and/or fixing this.

November 30, 2017 at 4:56 pm #1446171

Thierry

Hi George,

We are using query monitor to test another issue we are having with WPML that creates dozens of slow queries.
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-slow-queries-when-woocommerce-multilingual-is-activated/

We unfortunately cannot remove wordfence as it is protecting our website from attacks. Another option is Ithemes security which, according to our tests, takes even more ressources.

Unfortunately, because of the performance issues in the above thread, when redis is not activated, the website crashes when there are over 50 users on the website.

December 1, 2017 at 11:27 am #1446816

George Botsev
Supporter

I understand.
I tested more ideas that I have got, but there is no result.
I have asked for assistance from a colleague who recently tested the Redis plugin for compatibility.
Once he gets back to me with some good news, I will let you know.

December 1, 2017 at 4:26 pm #1447131

Thierry

Ok thank-you, please keep me updated.

December 4, 2017 at 8:59 am #1448199

George Botsev
Supporter

We have a partial success in your case.
I added this to your wp-config.php

define('WP_REDIS_IGNORED_GROUPS', [
	"plugins",
	"themes",
	"counts",
	"etheme_get_main_menumain-menu",
	"etheme_get_mobile_menu",
	"options",

]);

This ignores groups in the cache that are cached and should not be - so now the menu appears correctly.

December 12, 2017 at 7:25 am #1455026

George Botsev
Supporter

Hello again.
Our compatibility team analysed the last remaining problamatic part.
I added it to your site in your config.
The last option that should be ignored is etheme_get_block, so the code that I added is this:

define('WP_REDIS_IGNORED_GROUPS', [
	"plugins",
	"themes",
	"counts",
	"etheme_get_main_menumain-menu",
	"etheme_get_mobile_menu",
	"options",
        "etheme_get_block",

]);

This is a good workaround, but a better solution would be if your theme author improves his theme to add language information to the cache groups that he defines. Then instead of ignoring these cache groups, you will benefit from the information in there being cached.

I hope that everything now works for you.
Please let me know how it goes.

December 13, 2017 at 4:31 am #1456277

Thierry

Thank-you, I will review and get back to you asap. Please do not close this ticket.

December 13, 2017 at 7:42 am #1456335

George Botsev
Supporter

The closing of tickets happens automatically after several days of inactivity (I think maybe 15 or 30 days?) and I cannot controll it.
You can always open a new ticket if this one is closed - but I really do hope that your investigation will turn out that the cache is working just fine and you have no other cache issues.