Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kristof 2 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
February 8, 2019 at 1:02 pm #3175154

Kristof

We have 3 languages in the site. When we duplicate a page to another language, we cannot edit the url, which is to be expected as the settings is set to "Auto-generate from title (default)".
HOWEVER, we believe that the duplicate page url is already set as soon as you duplicate the page and only after that you enter the translation editor and can change the page title. But changing the page title no longer has any effect on the page url.
We can always switch to "Translate (this will include the slug in the translation and not create it automatically from the title)" but we believe the first option might have a bug, as the page url should best be created AFTER you save the translation, how is the duplicate page to know what the translated title and hence the url would be?

February 10, 2019 at 7:59 pm #3180225

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I'm confused because when you duplicate a page, you cannot edit or translate anything in it. It is a duplication of the original. Only after pressing the 'Translate independently' button you can translate the page separately. Please see the attached screenshot. But maybe I do not exactly understand the translation process that you take.
Can you please tell me the steps of how I can replicate the issue?
Sometimes screen-shots illustrating what you mean may go a long way to clarify what words fail to transmit, so if you like, make use of “upload an image” below the comment area.

Could you also please share your Debug information with me?
You can read the detailed explanation about it here.
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support
The debug info will give me a lot of information about how your site is configured and will help me understand the source of the problem.

Thanks,
Itamar.

duplicated-post.jpg
February 11, 2019 at 8:39 am #3181360

Kristof

Hi,
Indeed, when in the Language sidebar we check the other languages we wish to duplicate to and confirm with the submit button, we stay on the editor of the original language, which means those duplicate pages have been created with the same Page Titel and some (temporary) url like /original-language-2/ ?

When we then switch to one of those languages, see screenshot, there is no url we can translate. But as we said before, this is expected because we set our urls to generate automatically from the Page Titel, BUT during duplication, we CANNOT set Page Titel, which means our URLs will ALWAYS be the same as the original language, except for the /language/ part. And cannot be corrected, unless we check that we would like to translate urls.

Screenshot_15.jpg
February 11, 2019 at 11:06 am #3182412

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

When I try things on my test site, I get the following results.

Option A

1. The option 'Auto-generate from title (default)' is enabled and also WPML's Classic Translation Editor.

2. I create a post in the original language and then translate it.

3. The translated post get the slug according to the title that I translate in the Translation Editor.

Things are happening as expected.

Option B

1. The option 'Translate (this will include the slug in the translation and not create it automatically from the title)' is selected and also WPML's Classic Translation Editor.

2. I create a post in the original language and then translate it.

3. I have a field in the Translation Editor that enables me to add my slug to the translated post.

Things are happening as expected.

Now I'm not sure if you are reporting a bug or something that is not happening as expected on your site. Or maybe you are suggesting something new like adding the option to determine what would be the slug of the translated post before the duplication of the post.
Can you please explain to me which one is correct?
If it is, but then please let me know where I can see it on your site.

Thanks,
Itamar.

February 11, 2019 at 11:18 am #3182472

Kristof

The main difference is your step 2 "and then translate it."
Our step 2 is "I create a post in the original language, then duplicate it and then switch to the translation editor".
For option A step 3 "The translated post get the slug according to the title that I translate in the Translation Editor."
When we duplicate it, we can't immediately translate the title, but the slug is already set due to the duplication. So yes, maybe we are suggesting new option where the slug can be set during the duplication, because it cannot be set afterwards. Or maybe regenerate the slug after the Page Title is translated for the duplicate pages, because now, even though Auto-generate from title is set, the slug does nog change any more, no matter how we edit the title.

Do you get our point now, or is it better to chat or use Teamviewer?

February 12, 2019 at 9:50 am #3187574

Itamar
Supporter

OK, I get your point.

What you can do in such cases is to edit the translated post with the WordPress editor and manually change the permalink. If the Translation Editor is enabled, you can switch the language flag at the top admin bar, and you will get the default WordPress editor where on the right sidebar in the 'Permalinks' section, you can edit and change the slug. Please see the attached screenshot.

Is this a good solution for you?

Regards,
Itamar.

wp-5-edit-permalink.jpg
February 12, 2019 at 10:12 am #3187692

Kristof

Hi,
I usually switch languages in the topbar, as I prefer the WordPress editor over the Translation Editor. It was just something we noticed and thought it might be something your DEV could/should look into for future updates.