This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
July 19, 2019 at 11:23 am #4245995

martinK-2

Hi,

I need some help with the table icl_string_pages.

I turned of EVERYTHING in auto register strings for translation because my backup plugin BackupBuddy kept timing out the server due to the ridiculously large table icl_string_pages which has over a MILLION rows!

1,130,411 rows to be exact. The BackupBuddy folks gave me a link https://wpml.org/forums/topic/the-table-wp_icl_strings_pages-gets-too-big-and-i-cant-back-up-anymore/ with the advise to trim it down:

1. Refine WPML auto registering string on
WPML > String Translation > Auto register strings for translation
There you can deselect text-domains and reduce number of newly registered strings.

2. On WPML > String Translation screen
2.a Select domains you do not need
2.b Delete all strings from table
2.c Use 'Display All Results' if applicable

However all I can do is uselect everything and apply that. The result was even an increase in this table from 1,130,411 to 1,134,241

How can I resolve this?

Regards,

Martin

July 19, 2019 at 2:07 pm #4246951

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Before taking any further steps please make a backup of your site and database. Maybe consider using a different plugin the BackupBuddy for this task in the meantime or make a manual backup.
hidden link

Now go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting and run the Clean Up Options. Also make sure to run here the option Recreate ST DB cache tables. This will clear the String Translation caches, including the *wp_icl_string_pages* table

In order to further clean up the database you will need to run some mySQL queries.

You can find more detailed information in the following forum ticket:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-find-delete-waiting-for-translations-strings/#post-1244576

I hope this will solve the issue.

Kind regards
Andreas