This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
February 20, 2020 at 7:36 pm #5536003

samH-11

We are trying to have some custom languages auto-translated but they are showing up as "not available for auto-translate" when we send content through Translation Management as translation jobs.

This makes sense since they are technically "custom languages", but let me explain:

We wanted to change the url for:
- Japanese to "jp" instead of "ja"
- Chinese (Traditional) to "tw" instead of "zh-hant"
- Chinese (Simplified) to "cn" instead of "zh-hans"

To change the url, we created custom languages, duplicated the translated content over to the custom languages, and removed the original languages.
We followed the instructions here:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-change-language-url/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-can-i-change-language-url/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/removing-languages/

We successfully changed the urls, but now when we send those languages to auto-translate, it does not seem to recognize them as the languages they are (Japanese, Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional), since they are technically custom languages, although everything else about them other than the custom code/url is the same.

February 21, 2020 at 12:04 am #5536769

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

Below I have linked the documentation going over the supported languages and their code for the automatic translation service.

hidden link

unfortunately at the moment, the Advanced Translation Editor cannot support custom languages with codes that are not recognized.

NOTE : I am also passing this ticket to our developers to take a look and provide a definite answer regarding your issue as well.

February 21, 2020 at 7:20 pm #5543537

samH-11

I see.
Would it be possible for me to make a change in the database in Advanced Translation Editor to get it to recognize and be able to work with the custom languages?
I'm guessing it would likely cause potential conflicts if the custom language codes were tinkered with in WPML's part of the database... but maybe if it was set somewhere in ATE's to recognize the custom language like cn (custom Chinese Simplified) as zh-hans (default Chinese Simplified), it might work ok?

February 24, 2020 at 6:03 pm #5556905

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

I have escalated this issue to our developer's team and we will work on offering a way to map custom languages in future versions of WPML.

At the moment I cannot provide an estimated time for when this will be added and unfortunately there is no workaround other than using a language code that is supported by the translation service at the moment.

February 25, 2020 at 5:58 am #5559355

samH-11

Thanks Bobby.
Alternatively, it would be good to be able to set the language code used for the url or parameter independently of the language Code. I understand the language Code is good to have consistent internally so that various plugins and add-ons can understand which language is which.

February 25, 2020 at 5:45 pm #5565121

Bobby
Supporter

I will mark this ticket as "Escalated" and once there are news I will update you.