Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Osama Mersal 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Osama Mersal.

Author Posts
April 11, 2021 at 6:17 am #8508967

alexK-39

We have a problem in the interaction of Avada Theme V7.3 and WPML. All themes and plug-ins are up to date.

Once both are activated on our website, posts created with Fusion Builder are almost impossible to save. Either the message "Connection was interrupted. Saving has been disabled until the connection is re-established. We'll save this post in your browser, just in case." or a 502 error comes up right away.

Also, the error occurs when we disable all other plug-ins.

The error does not occur if we

A. have activated a default theme like Twenty Twenty-One plus WPML or

B. have Avada theme enabled and turn off WPML

April 12, 2021 at 8:45 am #8514929

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thanks for contacting WPML forums support. I’ll be glad to help you today.

To be able to debug the problem, I’d like to replicate your site locally. For this, you'll need to temporarily install a plugin called "Duplicator" on your site. This will allow you to create a copy of your site and your content. You can provide me with the snapshot following these directions:
If you already know how Duplicator works ( http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ ), please skip the following steps and just send me the installer file and the zipped package you downloaded.

:: Duplicator instructions
hidden link

Send me both files (you probably want to use DropBox, Google Drive, or similar services)

#Important:
As the snapshot file will be quite big, you can exclude the images if the file is very big. You can use the filters to exclude the uploads file and also use the filter to exclude any compressed files with these extensions .rar, .gz, and .zip )

I will set the next reply as a private reply so you can provide a link to download the duplicator package.

Thanks for your cooperation

Regards,
Osama

April 13, 2021 at 8:18 am #8522895

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi Alex,

Thanks for providing the access details. It would be great if you can provide a staging site because I want to run some tests.

I would deactivate all the plugins and check and run WPML troubleshooting functions.

Kindly provide the staging site credentials in the next private reply.

Thanks,
Osama

April 14, 2021 at 1:36 am #8529909

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi Alex,

Thanks for providing the staging site details. Of course, I'll wait until Avada's support finishes working on the staging site. Maybe they can take a look at this issue too.

Kindly let me know when they finish working on the staging site.

Thanks,
Osama

April 14, 2021 at 4:50 am #8531031

alexK-39

Well, Avada likes to advertise their theme with the compatibility to other plug-ins, but then afterwards they are not really keen on clearing up possible bugs.

This is then explained with sentences like "The 502 error usually means something is off on the server side. Your hosting company can check the error logs to figure out why that error is thrown", even if you have described the case in detail and pointed out that the error occurred after the Avada update.

I'll let you know when they're done there - I hope today.

April 14, 2021 at 8:07 am #8531735

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Sure, take your time.

regards,
Osama

April 16, 2021 at 8:30 am #8552369

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for providing the access details. I've tried to edit the page using Avada Live and Avada in the dashboard, but I didn't get the "502" error. (hidden link)

Kindly check this video and let me if I missed anything to reproduce the issue. (hidden link)

Thanks,
Osama

April 17, 2021 at 12:49 am #8559319

alexK-39

Hello,

this may be because I cleaned up the site - removed some plug-ins, cleaned database, etc. Also, the staging site does not have a CDN and WPengine cache.

I stopped the times - with all WPML plug-ins there is a break after 60 seconds for me - (regular time-out) - if you turn off the three WPML plug-ins mentioned, the page saves in less than 5 seconds. Photo is attached.

So it looks like the string translation & co are just too heavy for our site?!

Unfortunately the dropbox link doesn't work.

Screenshot_2.jpg
April 17, 2021 at 1:14 am #8559351

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi,

1) Kindly check the video here and let me know if it works correctly. (hidden link)

2) Could you please try the 2 following suggestions?

1- Kindly deactivate all of your plugins except WPML and Avada-related plugins and check if you would have the same error.
If you didn't have the error, activate your plugins one by one to know what causes the issue.

2- The second suggestion is to increase the TimeLimit on your site and check if this solves the issue.

I hope this helps you. If you need further info, please let me know.

Best regards,
Osama

April 17, 2021 at 9:04 am #8560397

alexK-39

Hello,

yes, the video is running now. It saves the pages in the meantime, because as I said I removed plug-ins and cleaned up the database. But you can see how long it takes.

Suggestion 1- the problem still exists
Suggestion 2- time limit - this is the problem - WPengine clearly says here:

Default max_execution_time for scripts is set to 60 seconds.

This setting can only be decreased, and cannot be increased. If you are performing a task which will take over 60 seconds to complete, the task should be broken into smaller segments and run in batches.

The problem exists since the update of Avada to v7.3 - before it was already critical with Avada v7.2 but now it doesn't work anymore.

I am even more surprised that Avada reacts so arrogantly to the problem. After all, they advertise compatibility.

Don't forget - this website runs on its own server at WPengine!

So for us at the moment only this solution remains - since we translate everything manually - page by page or bog posts are written in the actual language anyway, are WPML Media, WPML String Translation and WPML Translation Management necessary at all? I will miss the WPML Media - but is WPML String Translation necessary? I see that Avada and WPML offer widgets in the backend and categories, tag etc we also create manually.

Cheers!

April 17, 2021 at 9:42 am #8560655

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi,

I'm afraid that you might need those plugins. For example, if you want to translate plugin/theme string, you would need to use String Translation. If you used WooCommerce or Automatic translation, you would need Translation Management.

I have one more suggestion if you could try it before taking any step forward. Could you please try to take a copy of your site and install it on your local server to check if you will face the same issue?

Thanks for your cooperation

Regards,
Osama

April 17, 2021 at 10:54 am #8560831

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi,

I've installed the Avada theme along with its plugins in this Sandbox. Kindly login here and create a page then translate it and check if you will face the same issue. (hidden link)

This is a fresh installation, so if we didn't face the issue on it, then the issue will be on your site. After that, you might need to run your site on the local server to test it on a different server. If it works correctly, the issue would be with WPengine.

Thanks for your cooperation and patience

Regards,
Osama

April 18, 2021 at 1:32 am #8562781

alexK-39

Hello Osama,

that's why I ask - because we don't use automatic translation, nor translators. We don't use WooCommerce and others either. The website has been around for a few years and the plugins we need are all installed. The Avada theme is compatible and so far I haven't encountered any major problems in the theme regarding the language. Are of course the time-out...

Because the problem occurs with the translation management and especially with the string translation.

What do you mean by "Could you please try to take a copy of your site and install it on your local server to check if you will face the same issue?"

Of course the problem would occur there, too, because it would be a 1:1 copy including the database. Or do you have something specific in mind?

April 18, 2021 at 7:29 am #8563615

alexK-39

Hello Osama,

I understand the point.

I see that the interaction Avada + WPML works in the sandbox. Of course, we must not forget that a website without content and other plug-ins is many times lighter than a website with 160000 views per month, almost 40 plug-ins and around 3500 articles.

Unfortunately I am not available this week - but I will try next week to implement your suggestion with the other server - maybe it is really WPengines cache system.

Until then, I will leave the string translation disabled - to that I can say that we never used that at all - because the Avada theme + WPML has settings for e.g. the widgets in which language they should be displayed.

The same is true for the translation management. We just take a slightly different approach - we don't have 1:1 translated pages, which would not be possible due to the different regulations in the gambling sector. So we create all pages for each language individually. So we don't use WPML completely with all resources but rather as a helpful tool that takes some of the work off our shoulders.

If you like I will keep you up to date how it will go on with the site.

Greetings

Alex

April 18, 2021 at 7:36 am #8563629

Osama Mersal
Supporter

Hi Alex,

Thanks for testing the SandBox. Kindly let me know what happens when you try another server.

I won't close this ticket. Please let me know if you need any further info.

Have a good day!

Regards,
Osama

The topic ‘[Closed] Avada hits 502 when saving posts and WPML is activated’ is closed to new replies.