Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Diego Pereira 2 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
October 20, 2019 at 12:18 pm

silmikko

He guys,

I've been having some performance issues lately. My hosting company told me that sometimes the page load time is more than 30 seconds. On my own tests I haven't noticed anything like that. The only issue that I can see is that backup times are really long when using Up Draft Plus. It often takes about an hour to backup the site. Before I installed WPML it was just minutes.

Now, the hosting company also tells me, that the reason for this long backup time is that the WPML string translations creates so many lines to database or something similar, which I don't quite get.

Now I have joined the Beta and installed 4.3 beta rc 1. I still have the same issues - backup time is really long and page load times reported.

Here is the screen shot of the warning telling there are many rows created by string translations.

I thought, switching to the 4.3. beta should solve these issues but it seems it doesn't. Or am I doing something wrong? I can't even find where to create the .mo files again. I don't have such section as described in one of your articles

(To do so:
Go to WPML -> Support.
Click the Troubleshooting link.
Scroll towards the end of the page, and click Show custom MO Files Pre-generation dialog box.
Reload the page (this step won’t be needed in the final release).
The dialog which allows you to regenerate the .mo files will appear.
) - this I can't find when clicking the troubleshooting link.

How can I fix this?

Cheers,

mikko

Image 2019-10-20 at 2.32.59 PM.png
October 21, 2019 at 3:07 pm #4795621

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

Based on your screenshot, the issue seems related with the icl_string_pages table. This table is used for cache and is not used anymore after String Translator 3.0. Please try the following:
- If you are using WPML 4.2.x, you can go to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting then click on "Recreate ST DB cache tables" - then update WPML + Extensions
- If you already updated to WPML 4.3 / String Translator 3.0, you need to run a SQL query to delete all records from this table

IMPORTANT: Please backup your site and database first before making any change, this is important for security reasons.

After clearing the table and updating WPML(4.3) + extensions(especially String Translator 3.0) , these records will no longer be created. Which may solve the issue.

Please let me know if it worked for you.

All the best,
Diego