Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by adriO 5 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Amit.

Author Posts
February 14, 2015 at 5:32 pm #560831

adriO

In my site (I'm developing on my local machine) I have WPML running. It is ok for most parts. My pages, Woocommerce pages are translated in a proper fashion. One of the steps I had to make was to incorporate a forum page. Based on reviews (it was easy to implement and to maintain) my choice was bbPress. Ok, downloaded and installed it and here the struggle begon.

The custom post types were not visible in the admin menu. It took me more then half a day to figure out that there was a bbPress multi lingual plug in on GitHub. I installed it (with a bit of struggle, because it is not in any sense the WordPress way) and tell you what? The Custom Post Types appears in my menu. Awesome!

Please read this topic on the bbPress support forum: hidden link

But........

It is virtually impossible to show the forum. It comes all down, so it seems, to permalink settings and page settings. When I select my WooCommerce shop page as the static front page (what I want) the forum is not visible. It redirects immediately to the front (shop) page. When I select no page as front page the forum appears when clicked on the menu item. In this case the shop page is just another page with te wrong layout and visitors are landing at the wrong place. Beats me! I’m pulling my hair out. Argggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I really must say and believe me it is nothing personal, as far as I can see is WPML a very buggy, unstable and tremendously site-slowing-down solution. At this moment I am very, very unhappy and disappointed with it.

I hope that you will take this cry-out seriously because I am truly at the and of my rope here.

Kind Regards,

Adri

February 15, 2015 at 5:33 pm #561005

adriO

I was able to pin it down a bit more. I discovered that this was happening only when the woocommerce shop page was set as Front page in the WordPress Reading Settings. How come? Beats me, but when I selected another page as front page the Forums shows up. Beside that I have a topic out at Woocommerce that the pagination is not working properly. When the shop page is set as front page, the second and any other product page I want to go to takes me to a wrong page. So it looks like it is a permalink issue caused by one of the plugins.

However I definitely want the shop page as my front page. So I had to find a work around. I downloaded a page redirect plugin called Page Links To, created a new page and named it Start. There is no content on that page, I only set the redirect. Selected this page as the static Front page and it all works.

I have my shop page at front, the woocommerce pagination works and the bbPress forums are showing.

Of course the real issue is not solved so please do investigate and let me know.

Next to that I discovered that the setting for displaying the content in the browser language (if available) does not work in a lot of cases. Sometimes it do, often not. Any idea?

February 16, 2015 at 1:39 pm #561420

Beda

Hello Adri

Thank you for the Debug infos.

Unfortunately I can not provide solutions for bbPress in use with WPML and WooCommerce by now.
The Bridge Plugin isn't supported at current time.

Our DEV Team is working on a solution, but this will take time.

For now the bbPress Plugin is considered as not compatible with WPML and also not compatible with WooCommerce Multilingual.

I am happy you found a kind of workaround, though I assume you could encounter more issues later on using this plugin at current status of things.

Regarding your last question, please refer to this DOC:
http://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/

The WPML Language Redirection based on browser language will "work" every 24 hours, unless you clean your cache of the browser.

This is because if you take as example a visitor that has EN as browser language,
but he wants to see your site in DE,
he would not be able to see your DE site if WPML would ALWAYS redirect to the browser language.

So WPML does only redirect the user once, and that cookie expires 24 hours after, or of course if you clean the browsers cache.

I apologize that I can't help much regarding the bbPress issues.

It is in the ToDo list of the DEV Team.

Thank you

February 18, 2015 at 7:47 am #562510

adriO

Hi Beda,

Thank you for your reply. Like i said on the bbPress forum it is unthinkable that a plugin with 1.7 million+ downloads is not compatible with WPML (the leading translation helper). Next to that I paid a fair price for a lifetime WPML subscription so I expect the quality as promised. On the WPML homepage is stated:

Why Choose WPML?

• It’s complete
With WPML you can translate pages, posts, custom types, taxonomy, menus and even the theme’s texts.
• It’s compatible
Every theme or plugin that uses WordPress API runs multilingual with WPML.
• It’s dependable
We provide full support for WPML, helping you deliver perfect websites on time.

Question is...... do you deliver what is promised.
Believe me, it is not my goal to burn-down WPML, or get my money back, I just want to deliver a excellent multilingual site, a good forum included. If you know of a forum plug in which is compatible with wpml, please let me know. I'm not restricted to bbPress. I've tried AnsPress already but this plugin gives problems as well. I simply want to show 1 blog in English on all pages. In short: an English blog on a English page, the same English blog on a Dutch page and so on. Any tips are welcome.

February 18, 2015 at 1:49 pm #562764

Beda

Hello Adri

I fully acknowledge your concerns, and can guarantee that our DEV Team is aware of the situation, and working hard on a solution.

In order to give the best possible service and support attention, I will pass this ticket to the DEV Department, which is already looking right now into a possible workaround for your specific situation.

Amit from the Compatibility Team will contact you here shortly, after checking the situation, and he will inform you on all the possible solutions for your situation.

I apologize again the delay this may cause in your project, and thank you very much for your ongoing trust in WPML.

Thank you for your patience

February 18, 2015 at 2:30 pm #562800

adriO

Hi Beda,

At first, no apologies are needed. I'm convinced that everybody involved do the best they can.
I'm glad you will pass this ticket to the DEV department. Those people has to com up with a solution 😉

I'm looking forward to share thoughts about it with Amit. I will wait and see!

Thanks for your help so far.

Adri

February 20, 2015 at 12:35 pm #563963

Amit
Supporter

Hi there,

bbPress is not currently 100% compatible with WPML, it's high on our list though.

Let's see if I can help you - but I'll need some help if you don't mind:

1. Please create a duplication of your site for the purpose of testing

Only after that is done AND in a the new fresh WordPress installation:

2. please un install the bbPress ML plugin - this is not done by us and it's completed as far as I know
3. Please install latest: WPML, bbPress, WooCommerce, WooCommerce Multilingual

Now can you please check again if you have the same behaviour ?

Thanks!
Amit

March 8, 2015 at 5:02 pm #573210

ioannisk-5

I will tell you exactly what is going on guys.
If you use the bbpress multilingual plugin, and wordpress version 3.9.3 you will be just fine.
If you upgrade to version 4.1.1 the comments and some topics will disappear.
These developers must find the little change between the 3.9.3 and 4.0 wordpress, and fix the problem...
But apparently they don't...
As of the woocommerce multilingual. if you upgrade it, your frontpage is automatically associated with the shop page...

March 8, 2015 at 5:53 pm #573226

adriO

Hey Amit,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for my late response, somehow I missed yours till today.
I was able to get it working. WooCommerce Multilingual, bbPress and WPML all working brotherly together. The trouble was caused by setting the WooCommerce shop page (that's an archive) as static front page. I decided to add another static front page (a normal WordPress page). Although it is strange that it works this way I was able to create a very good work around and it even suits me better to do it this way. So in the end an advantage from a disadvantage.

One issue still remains. On an English page I see an English blog(bbPress interface) with English topics. On a Dutch page I see a Dutch blog (bbPress interface) with Dutch topics. No English topics in the Dutch forum and that is what I want. Short: I only want to see English topics in whatever language the interface is in.
I really hope that you can advice me. Form the side of bbPress, nothing but silence.

Thanks in advance.

March 9, 2015 at 3:56 pm #573828

Amit
Supporter

@ioannisk-5 - we are aware of the WooCommerce Multilingual issue and it's already fixed in beta - in anyway if you have different issues than the ones reported in this ticket please open new threads for them - it's impossible to resolve distinct issues in the same place.

@Adri - we are very close to a major WPML release - WPML 3.2 - after that we'll be able to test and fix issues related to bbPress, Saying that - I'd like to still try and help can you please give me a step by step to replicate this issue - if you can please add some screen shoots so it'll be easier to see the problem.

Thanks!

March 17, 2015 at 7:40 am #579778

adriO

Hi Amit,
Sorry, again, for my late reply. I was very busy otherwise. But here I am. It is fairly simple.
The main language of the site is English, with a translation to Dutch. It is possible that other languages are added in the future.

I created a Forum in bbPress in the standard English language. After Publishing the forum the language widget showed a + sign and a duplicate checkbox. Ticking this checkbox Duplicate and after that the button duplicate I got a Dutch forum as well. That is all I did. What is puzzling me is that the topics (the content of the forum) is also expected to be translated. And that is not what I want. I just want to show the English topics (messages AND replies) in the Dutch forum.

When I created the first topic in the English forum the Dutch one remains empty. It looks like it is treated as a totally different forum.

There was an update to bbPress this morning and after installing it a new oddity appears. To write this reply I wanted to replicate my steps by creating a new forum and a new Dutch translation. I tried it three times. Before the update the situation above was valid. After the update only the Dutch forum is shown.... and that is supposed to be the translated copy....????? I will revert to the former version of bbPress en will try again. I get back to you on this.

March 17, 2015 at 8:46 am #579839

adriO

Hi Amit, as promised I revert to the former version of bbPress and tested it again. No avail. It seems to me that it boils down to a permalink issue. I get for example on the bbPress forum page this url hidden link while the WPML settings are set to hidden link - Dutch (copied from the wpml settings page). It looks like the permalinks are frozen for some pages. I get this behavior on my woocommerce pages as well with an error in chrome: ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS. I don't know what is causing this problem. Choosing another permalink structure (and with this the structure should be reset) but no avail. Searching the net did not bring me a solution. Please help!

March 17, 2015 at 1:01 pm #580127

adriO

The statement above this reply field about a large volume of support request and a longer wait time is annoying me more and more. I never and I say never seen a worse performing piece of software in my life. WPML sucks. I'm sorry to sound this angry but every time an update (WordPress or a plugin) comes out several WPML related problems appears. One moment it is permalink related, other moments you get a 500 error and in again other cases you have to translate all again in very different places. Shame on WPML to as for a fair bit of money with this poor performance. At second..... how can I be surprised by the statement about the support questions..... with this grabby, error vulnerable and (apparently) thoughtless approach it is only a matter of time that the WPML world collapses. And for me and my site: it is of an apocalyptic scale. For the last two days I'm busy to get my permalinks in order to no avail. When I deactivate WPML it runs truly smoothly, no errors, fast and reliable. With WPML I'm presented with the most weird issues. The page never loads, a message: (I'm translated from Dutch) "The site is down due to planned maintanance, please check back in a couple of minutes". Forums shown up wrong, woocommerce product pages only appear in Dutch while English is the default language, WP menu cart pro will only reveal its secrets in Dutch.

Man or Woman, I'm on the end of my rope here. I try to develop a site wicht will be in potential a site in several languages with the need of a bunch of translators. The help op iCanLocalize was one of the reasons I chose for this approach.

At this moment I'm in a state of mind to flush WPML through the toilet. I'm really mad because this poor piece of software costs me days and days of development time. Are you gonna pay for that? I cost a € 100,- / hour excluding tax!

I truly hope that WPML is gonna review the quality an usability of this plugin. I still believe there is potential but not in this manner. Action, Action, Action please and to the drain with the large-volume-support-request message!

Sorry for sounding this mad........

March 18, 2015 at 8:01 am #580739

Amit
Supporter

Hi Adri,

You came back yesterday with the steps to replicate. I am testing today. As I said we are not 100% compatible with bbPress but I will do my best to try and find a solution for this.

Please hold on - I will update you later today about where are we standing.

Thanks!

March 18, 2015 at 5:21 pm #581374

ioannisk-5

Adri, you are right to sound the way you do.

This problem has been going on for a very long time, and I also told them and they did nothing.

They only refer you to an outdated plugin that works with 3.9.3 at the most, and which is not compatible with 4.0 and above...

The code of this bbpress outdated plugin is very small...

Yet they don't mean to fix it...

I guess we are all disappointed... I am looking for alternative plugins...