Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Izzi Hassan 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Izzi Hassan.

Author Posts
September 29, 2019 at 9:02 am #4660315

FilippoZ1

Hello,
I understand using the WPML translation editor is the safest way to keep sync between contents in different languages.

But sometimes:
- contents in different languages need to be different
- they can have a different layout
- explaining to a client/collaborator how to use a builder (like Elementor) is much more easy that explain how to use WPML' Translation Editor (especially if there are string translations to do)

Because of those reasons, I often find myself in the following situation:

1) I translate the whole website using the WPML's Translation Editor

2) At a later time, I need to
- edit a translated content using WP default Editor (or a front-end builder),
- enable a client/collaborator to edit site contens directly from frontend (using a builder) without letting him getting crazy in WPML admin menu.

So, I would like to know if there is a best practice to

1) use the comforts of WPML' translation editor to make a first version of translations

2) then unlink completely the translated contents from WPML translation workflow, being able to manage contents of different languages separately without having the risk of overwrites between translation jobs/queue and actual wp contents.

Thanks for your patience.

September 30, 2019 at 8:30 am #4662919

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to WPML Support.

If I understand correctly, you would like to be able to use a Translation Editor (Classic / Advanced) to translate your content, but then disable the editor so that the content can be edited using WordPress' interface.

At the moment, there is no way to mark all translated content to no longer use the Translation Editor, unless you disable the editor altogether by deactivating Translation Management.

Deactivating Translation Management is not recommended as it is required for some of WPML's other features (e.g. translating WooCommerce). Disabling it would also mean that you can no longer set up translation jobs and will need to manually handle all translations.

I would suggest staying with your current workflow. When you switch your Admin Language (using the switcher on the top bar of WP Admin), you are able to see Posts, Pages and other content specific to that language. If you do this while on a piece of content, you are shown the warning in the screenshot below. You can then select "Don't show this warning again" and click "Edit anyway". Now you should be able to edit the content without using a WMPL editor.

This method will not cause any breaking of the relationship between an item and its translation. By also clicking "Don't show this warning again", you should be able to edit other pieces of translated content directly without using an editor, or seeing this warning again.

Please note that the only way to avoid overwriting changes is to make sure that you are not directly editing a piece of content that is also sent for translation using Translation Management. You should only directly edit content that is no longer in a Translation Queue.

Please let me know if you need to discuss your workflow further, or to address a specific concern with how you are currently handling translated content after initial translation. I'll be happy to discuss it further or try to find a better solution.