Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
November 6, 2019 at 6:19 pm #4900921

alexT-29

Hi,

Could you tell me what the best practice is for the following situation?

We have website on the domain snowplanners.com which is in Dutch currently. We want to translate existing pages and content into English and then when everything is ready switch from standard Dutch to standard English. Obviously redirecting all existing Dutch content to snowplanners.com/nl/existing-content-name.

What would be the best way to start? I guess first keeping Dutch as standard language and English as secundary? Translate everything and then switch the standard language. But will this work correctly and don't mess up things?

November 7, 2019 at 5:04 pm #4908701

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Going the way you mentioned above should be the right way to do it - just start with Dutch as the default language for now.

There should not appear any errors when you change the default language, but as my colleague says in the solution offered in this ticket link (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/change-default-language-7/), please make sure that you create a full website backup before you change the default language to another one so that we can always return the site into the old state and debug forward.

Also, please open a new ticket when the time will come if you will encounter any issues.

I hope that I was able to answer your question, if not, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

November 11, 2019 at 6:49 pm #4927507

alexT-29

Hi Mihai,

Thank you for your response. Good to know I'm on the right track.
I just wish to get a bit more clarification regarding redirects, is there are good way to do this all at once? (so all existing NL links that where first on the root domain to the /nl/ version?)

Also I've just tested changing the standard language and noticed I'm experiencing some issues regarding the menu, I had it translated but now suddenly the English menu is empty/non-existence. Is there a better way to do this/fix this? Could it happen because the 'menu sync'?

November 11, 2019 at 7:04 pm #4927613

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and welcome back!

The plugin should do the redirects automatically, so you should not worry about this (especially as long as you also do a full backup first).

Regarding the new menu issue, I don't know what to say and I could only guess.

However, our policy allows us to tackle one issue per ticket so I recommend that you create a new ticket for that matter.

Continuing with one issue per ticket helps not only supporters to focus on one issue at once, but also enables other users to find solutions to their questions faster.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Mihai

November 13, 2019 at 9:35 am #4936923

alexT-29

Hi Mihai,

I think we've misunderstood each other. After some testing (with switching the languague) I've noticed that it does indeed redirect the "original Dutch" urls, however it redirects them to the English translation. As an example:

We had snowplanners.de/wintersport-reizen when language was Dutch as a standard
and a translated version of that on snowplanners.de/en/wintersport-travel.

Now that I have switched standard language from Dutch to English the following happens:

snowplanners.de/wintersport-reizen > redirects to > snowplanners.de/wintersport-travel.
Where what I want to see is that snowplanners.de/wintersport-reizen redirects to snowplanners.de/nl/wintersport-reizen, and keeping the function once I switch to english on this page with the new url structure it goes to snowplanners.de/wintersport-travel

Obvisiously this is important for our search engine positions.

November 14, 2019 at 6:10 pm #4949409

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

That is super weird.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

November 15, 2019 at 10:15 pm #4957013

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the credentials - I can confirm that I was able to log into the backend successfully.

This is pretty weird and I will need some more time to investigate this.

I am leaving this ticket assigned to myself for the moment and I will get back to you as soon as I have more feedback.

PS: Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai

November 18, 2019 at 6:21 pm #4967245

alexT-29

Hi Mihai,

Thanks for looking into this. Any idea when you'll be able to share some more information?
Very curious as what the issue might be, so I can prevent this when going live with our live site.

Sincerely

November 19, 2019 at 5:59 pm #4975005

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi and thank you for your patience.

I am still looking into this and I hope that I will be able to get back to you with an answer tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience throughout the process.

Kind regards,
Mihai

November 20, 2019 at 5:58 pm #4983035

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Your patience was amazing so thank you for waiting.

I got in touch with one of my colleagues so it seems that we indeed misunderstood each other.

What you would like to accomplish could be done only with 301 redirects (there might be some helpful plugins for that). Also, an extra thing you could do is select in the WPML settings to use a /directory format even for the default language (so instead of having hidden link, you would have hidden link or /nl, depending on which is your default language).

However, even if that would make things a bit easier, when you will change the default language, you will change the links so it would affect you SEO-wise anyway, that is why my final recommendation is that you would just decide from the very beginning which will be the default language and which will be the secondary, and remain with those set without switching them anymore.

I hope that you will find this information helpful and sorry for the confusion.

Kind regards,
Mihai