This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Andrés 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
August 1, 2019 at 10:16 pm #4325507

Todd

Hi there

On our clients website (hidden link), we have several CPT that we're using where we'd want the exact same (not translated) content to be displayed in both EN and DE versions of the site. This would be "Team" and "Founders" on hidden link and "Jobs" on hidden link.

What is the best practice on how to handle this? I don't want to have two records with exact same content.

The "Team" and "Founders" don't click into an inner page, but when we "duplicate" the post, then we get duplicate entries on hidden link.

The "Jobs" do have inner pages. Here, when we "duplicate" the post, we get duplicate entries on hidden link.

The other issue I have with the "Jobs" inner page is the URL in DE. On the English site, this is the URL structure (which is correct) - hidden link. But on the German site, the URL structure is wrong (career should be karriere like the parent page) - hidden link.

Appreciate the help and clarification.

Thanks,
Todd

August 2, 2019 at 6:19 am #4327155

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi Todd,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

What is the best practice on how to handle this? I don't want to have two records with exact same content.

How about this option?
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/#displaying-original-content-for-whole-post-types

To display original language content for all posts belonging to specific post types, go to the WPML -> Settings page.

Scroll down to the Post Types Translation section and select the second option, Translatable – use translation if available or fallback to the original language, for all post types you need.

But on the German site, the URL structure is wrong (career should be karriere like the parent page) -

Have you tried the following?
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-page-slugs/#enabling-custom-post-type-name-localization-in-wpml

Especially this point:
"3. Select to use different slugs in different languages"

And then resaving permalinks afterwards?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 2, 2019 at 12:39 pm #4330045

Todd

Hi Bruno

Thanks for the quick reply.

Your suggestion worked for our "Team" and "Founders" CPT that are displayed without linking to inner pages as seen on hidden link, but it does not solve our issue for "Jobs."

But on the German site, the URL structure is wrong (career should be karriere like the parent page)

Your suggestion wasn't exactly relevant.

"Jobs" is more of a unique issue. Thinking about this a while, I think I need to create two posts, one in each language, for the "Jobs" section. Two reasons for this:

1. There may be a need at some point that there will be a job listed on one language and not the other.
2. The URL string should be different

For #2 above, I'm having an issue.
-German Job Post > hidden link (format ../karriere/job/[slug-here])
-English Job Post > hidden link (format ../en/karriere/job/[slug-here])

For the English URL, the format should be ../en/careers/job/[slug-here]. In CPTUI (which we used to make the CPT), we're using the "Custom Rewrite Slug" feature (hidden link). How do we translate this?

Thanks,
Todd

August 5, 2019 at 7:26 am #4338553

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello Todd,

As Bruno is not available I would like to continue with your ticket.

As we can only one issue per ticket, let's focus on your problem for duplicating "Jobs" in this ticket.

I have visited your Jobs page and it displays correctly your content in both languages, could you please provide me more details?

Regards,
Andrés