This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
June 25, 2019 at 8:20 am #4082239

konstantinosS-10

Hello,

I am currently developing the Multilingual system for my new site and I would like to know about which is the best SEO practice to follow with.

My company is international and currently make business in Greece, Spain and Italy.
Our website uses .com domain while the .es, .gr, .it redirects to the .com.

As I know its good for SEO that local users for example Spanish, to use apifon.es.
I know that WMPL adds to the url the /?lang=es.

So do I have to keep hidden link for Spanish users by deafult? meaning to set a redirection from hidden link to hidden link or setting somehow apifon.es when a user changes his language to Spanish.

What do you recommend?

June 25, 2019 at 10:06 am #4083057

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Konstantinos,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

It's great if you already have the .es, .gr, and .it domains. The default option for each language is the on that you mentioned (?lang=). However, for SEO purposes, the folder option is better (like hidden link or hidden link). The best option is to have each language in its own domaine, like you said. There's an option on WPML that will help you with that. You can find it by going to Dashboard → WPML → Languages → Language URL format. Here's an article where you can find some more details about how you can configure this out https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/.
Can you tell me if this is what you were looking for, please?

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Best SEO practice for Multilingual site’ is closed to new replies.