This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
October 11, 2018 at 6:23 am #2806760

Marco

I've been reading some contrary information regarding the best "Theme and plugins localization" > "How to translate strings in themes and plugins?" option for performance.

On your documentation, you state that it's better to use WPML String Translation: https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

On some support forum tickets, your staff advises activating the "Don't use String Translation to translate themes and plugins" (and thus just using the theme and plugin MO files): https://wpml.org/forums/topic/string-translation-slow/

Assuming that all of our theme and plugins are already translated in each language we use on the website, I don't see any reason to load their strings into the database, and I presume that using their own MO files (letting WordPress do what he normally does) would be much less database consuming thus making the website faster, wouldn't you agree?

Even if we don't have all the translations, and we do them ourselves, I can't see any advantage, performance wise, on loading all that up to the database in opposition to create PO/MO files on the correct folders. Am I wrong here? Honest question. What are the advantages (besides the doing the translations inside a wp-admin screen)?

October 11, 2018 at 4:00 pm #2809063

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi, Marco.

Performance-wise, I think that you are correct in all your assumptions.
I would now consult our second tier supporters and get their opinion on this matter.
I'll keep you updated here on their answer.

Regards,
Itamar.

October 11, 2018 at 4:15 pm #2809092

Marco

Thanks Itamar,

I'll wait for your answer.

October 15, 2018 at 11:02 am #2817036

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

Strings Translation adds a lot of translation possibilities. You can use Strings Translation to translate things that you cannot translate with .mo files. With Strings Translation you can also translate Admin strings, page builder strings, custom post types and taxonomies slugs, and emails. If you use only .mo file to translate your site's strings, you leave a lot of stuff un-translated which is OK if you do not need it translated. Leaving content on the site untranslated for sure will improve the performance of your site. But we think that there is no place for comparison performance-wise between working only with .mo files and with Strings Translation if you do need other stuff translated on your site.

Please let me know if you have any more questions about this issue.

Regards,
Itamar.

October 15, 2018 at 11:27 am #2817155

Marco

Hi there Itamar,

My question is about Plugins and Themes MO files, and only that.

Of course, I use String Translation for all the other stuff.

October 15, 2018 at 9:06 pm #2818805

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Marco.

I'm sorry if I didn't understand your question properly.
Are you asking about the difference between the following two options?
- Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation only (don't load .mo files)
- Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation and always load .mo files as backup

The topic ‘[Closed] Best "Theme and plugins localization" option for performance’ is closed to new replies.