This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andrés 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
July 17, 2019 at 7:57 am #4226825

gilbertW-2

Hi Andrés

How are you doing?

I've developed a marketplace site in English, French and German. As most plugins are in English, I used English as the default language for the development. Now, I want to hide English because I don't want my vendors and I to manage content in a language that is not relevant for my vendors and buyers. As I'm not familiar with the internal working of WPML, I have a few general questions concerning best practises (especially in regard to performance).

I would take German, the most used language, as new default language. Does this make sense?

The original language of pages is English. Does the original language of the pages have an impact on performance? If so, how can I change the original language of a page?

The original language of taxonomies (product categories, attributes) is English. Does the original language of the taxonomies have an impact on performance? If so, how can I change the original language of taxonomies?

As the vendors will be able to enter their products, the original language might be French or German. Will this have an impact on the performance? If so, how can I change the original language of a product?

Most strings are translated from English (original language). Does this have an impact on performance? If so, how can I change the original language for all strings easily (bulk)?

Is there any other settings I should adapt for this case?

Looking forward to your answer.

Cheers,
Gilbert

July 17, 2019 at 8:54 am #4227885

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello Gilbert, 🙂

In general terms, I don't think there should be an impact in your performance for the fact for changing your default language from English to German.

However, if I understand your decision which is perfectly fine (having German as default language), the fact of changing your original language after having translated all your content may lead to lost some content translation, especially these coming from WPML String Translation.

For that reason, I recommend you to make an entire backup of your site before making this adjustment and check carefully that your content remains.

Regards,
Andrés

Best regards,
Andrés

July 17, 2019 at 3:25 pm #4231759

gilbertW-2

Hi Andrés

Nice to hear from you again. Now I'm a bit worried by your answer.

What string translations may get lost?

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

How will the backup help me if I have to retranslate the strings after changing the language? The backup gets me back to start, but not to the target, right?

Kind Regards,
Gilbert

July 17, 2019 at 3:33 pm #4231795

Andrés
Supporter

I really can't tell which translations you may lost, Gilbert and there is no way to prevent this. Depending on your site, changing your default language may affect it or might not. The only thing I can say is that that modification is not recommended after having translated your site.

Yes, the idea to make a backup is to have a safe spot in case something really goes wrong. You should receive an alert warning you that changing your default language is not desirable, from there, you can only check that everything is in its place. :/

I wish you luck!

Regards

July 18, 2019 at 4:10 pm #4240809

gilbertW-2

OK, thanks for your honest answer. I'll give it a try, warned and ready for surprises... Thank you!

July 19, 2019 at 5:22 am #4244041

Andrés
Supporter

I wish you good luck, Gilbet!
Regards