This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
July 4, 2019 at 7:19 pm #4146161

Antonios Kelaidis

I have 2 languages.
I have set up in the past blog categories.
The thing is that I did not asssign a translation to each.
I just created them as separate categories without combining them with ''translation''

I tried to add a category to each but I have only the option to create a new one and not choose from the existing categories.

Is that possible to choose the translation category to be chosen from the existion categories without adding a new one?

akelaidis.com

July 4, 2019 at 9:18 pm #4146403

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. You could do this by changing the database. This should only work if you are knowledgeable about changing data directly within the database.

You can see in our documentation how translations are organized in the database: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/#language-information-and-translations. Remember, if you are going to change any of these records, to back up your database before any changes.

If you are not comfortable editing this directly in the database then the best option would be to translate the category and then assign the posts from "old" category to the new category (category that has been translated).

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.