This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
June 19, 2019 at 6:39 am

valentinaC-4

Hi there,

I opened a ticket that I never closed but was closed by Mihai since he did not get a reply from me, I did not have the time to look. Sorry, I travel for long periods of time and sometimes have no internet access and forgot to update the ticket.

My category pages ARE STILL breaking every now and then with no sense. Usually, when that happened in the past I used to just save the permalinks again and things were sorted. The issue is Directly related to WPML since I have discovered a problem. This tiem I could not juts save again the Permalinks and make it work, the permalinks simply wont change back properly.

I did say is related to WPML since the work around I found is:

1. Deactivate all WPML related plugins
2. Save the permalinks

Then I check and my category pages are back to live again.

3. Activate again WPML

Problem is, then after some time, for some reason I just do not understand since I haven't been able to isolate the issue, they break again and its a true pain in the ass having to do this, also I do not realize most of the time sot he category pages just remain broken for a while.

This is the ticket https://wpml.org/forums/topic/borken-category-pages/
And with him we managed to isolate the issue to WPML but he could nto make a copy of my site.

NOW the FTP access should be correct so you should be able to access with no problem. I will have internet for the next 3 weeks. So I hope I will not end up like this again sorry again.

June 20, 2019 at 11:02 am #4059173

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

I've read the other ticket that Mihai was handling, and I understand the issue. I've also checked things on your site. As the first debugging steps I would like to please ask you the following.

1. WPML Multilingual CMS and the String Translation add-on are not updated on your to their latest versions. Please see the attached screenshot. In addition, WPML's Translation Management add-on is not installed and activated on your site.
Could you please update WPML and String Translation and download and install the Translation Management add-on?

2. You are using the Voux theme by FuelThemes.
hidden link
This theme is not officially compatible with WPML, but I can see that we have two other themes (Revolution and North) from the same author that are compatible.
https://wpml.org/developer/fuel-themes/
Nevertheless, they have not been tested for some time. So we might be looking here on a compatibility issue with the theme.
Could you please contact the theme authors and ask them if the Voux theme is compatible with WPML?
In any case, you can tell them that our compatibility team would be happy to assist them in turning the Voux theme into an officially compatible theme by testing it and correcting whatever needs correction. They suppose to have the contact details.

Please check whether the issue persists after updating WPML.

Thanks,
Itamar.

June 21, 2019 at 11:56 am #4066873

valentinaC-4

Hi There,
Everything updated. (it was already on my last ticket).
Also send them the message to the VOUX an on the Theme page states is compatible with WPML
hidden link

The issue persists.

June 23, 2019 at 6:42 pm #4073483

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for trying my suggestions.

I've checked things on your site, and I can see that the problem of 404 is happening on sub-categories pages on the default language.
Has this problem also happened on the translated category pages?

When I checked things on your site, and I could find that you are using the Yoast SEO plugin. When using the Yoast SEO plugin with WPML, the bridge Yoast SEO Multilingual plugin is needed. Therefore I installed this plugin as well. This, for itself, did not solve the problem.

Then I resaved the permalink while WPML was active and now the issue is not happening. When I go to the example that you gave at the following link, I can see the category page.
hidden link
Please see the attached screenshot.

I know that you had written to us a few time that you think that the problem is because of WPML. Because only when you disabled WPML, you could save the permalink. I'm sorry, but this still does not prove the issue is coming from WPML. And mainly if it only happening in the default language. The proper way to check debug this issue will be to see if the issue is still happening in a minimal environment. This is because I suspect that there is a collision with the theme or another plugin that might cause this problem. If possible, get your site into a minimum environment. Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like Twentynineteen and no plugins activated except WPML.
Is it possible for you to try it?
You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to Twentynineteen (for example). If it persists then deactivate all plugins except the WPML and its add-ons. Then please check if the problem persists. If it does not persist, so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

*** If your site is a live site you might want first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server. ***

If your site is live and you can not perform the minimum environment procedure on the live site, then I can create a test server for you on our server, and you can migrate your site to our server. The process is quite easy. In the next private message that I'll in a few minutes, you will find all the details.

Thanks,
Itamar.

June 23, 2019 at 6:52 pm
June 24, 2019 at 3:04 pm #4078189

valentinaC-4

hi there.

The problem is that I cannot leave the site with the minimum set up working.
When I managed to resave the permalinks then the category pages work fine, but then they break again after who knows what.
So, I tried to separate the issue and all I got was yes, sure, I can resave the permalinks (just as you did) but then I go back to the full set up and they break eventually (I can't even tell you when).

I know for sure that If I leave No WPML on the site the permalinks do not break. I had the site in only one language for about a month and they did not break (for what I can tell after "resaving" the permalinks several times) they break randomly after a week or maybe two. I assume something triggers it but no idea what.

If you want we can wait until it breaks again, but as mentioned, just "isolating" won't give me more answers since I already tried it. Maybe it was the Yoast Multilingual, so, we can do that... wait.

June 26, 2019 at 2:22 pm #4093223

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

OK, let's wait. It might be that the Yoast Multilingual plugin solves this issue, but we are not sure about it yet. In any case, if you want us to start and check things on our server, you can already migrate your site to our server.

Regards,
Itamar.

The topic ‘[Closed] Borken category pages’ is closed to new replies.