This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by hayaM 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
May 6, 2019 at 3:51 pm #3750643

hayaM

I am trying to: have the languages be displayed in their native spelling. English + العربية(Arabic)
And I would also like them displayed side by side instead of a drop-down list. I tried to do that in WPML settings but it keeps it as is. From reading forums I guess it could be conflicting with the way the theme is set up. Please let me know if there's any way I can resolve this

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: pacescharity.org (header menu)

I expected to see: natively spelled languages displayed side by side

Instead, I got: languages spelled in english in a dropdown list

May 6, 2019 at 6:05 pm #3751797

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

May 7, 2019 at 11:28 am #3757081

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

From what I can see, the language switcher that is generated in the top bar, next to the social icons, is generated by the theme or by a plugin that you use, it is not the original one generated by WPML itself, but the theme or a plugin is taking it from WPML and it is displaying it as it wants.

Did you do something special to add that language switcher in the top-bar? My guess is that it automatically appeared after you installed and configured WPML and that would mean that the theme is generating it. If the theme or the plugin that you use have any options for the language switcher at the top, maybe you can check if it has any settings that can be changed so that you can choose how it displays.

There are 4 solutions here as far as I can see:

1. You can go to WPML > Languages > Menu Language Switcher > and change the "Position" from "Menu" to "Primary Menu" - this way you will add the language switcher in the main menu and it will shows as you want it - in the right language and one next to each other

2. You can create a Custom Language Switcher and then use a shortcode or use PHP to add it inside the theme, in the location where you want/need it.

Here you can find some very helpful information about the Language Switcher Options:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/

3. You can get in touch with the theme/plugin developers and ask them for a solution so that the language switcher would look exactly as you expect.

4. You can contact a WPML Contractor from our Contractors list here:
https://wpml.org/contractors

I hope that you will find the information above helpful 🙂

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 10, 2019 at 8:21 am #3782185

hayaM

Thank you I've looked into two of the options and hopefully will find a solution.

Can you help me with the second issue I mentioned? The one where the switcher shows the languages both in English? How can it show each language in its native spelling?

May 10, 2019 at 1:42 pm #3785087

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

As I mentioned above, the only way to implement both of your needs (aligned next to each other + having the languages in the native spelling) would be to use one of the 4 steps.

The issue that you are experiencing where you can't decide how the language switcher + the languages display at the top is due to the fact that the language switcher at the top is not generated directly by WPML as it would be if you would follow one of the first 2 steps I mentioned, instead, the theme is somehow taking the language switcher from WPML and it is displaying it in the way the theme was coded.

So all that we have control over is on what the WPML plugin does directly. Any other customization (like the one the theme developers have implemented in the theme that you are using) would require custom coding.

I hope that this clarifies a bit more about the situation you are experiencing.

If the first 2 options I mentioned would not be what you are looking for, then I recommend you to take into consideration the last 2 options where there is more custom coding involved.

Kind regards,
Mihai

May 11, 2019 at 3:48 pm #3790879

hayaM

Ok thanks will sort it out with theme support