Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Please update Yoast and Yoast Multilingual to the latest versions in order to clear up recent issues with translations of texts generated by these plugins.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by dimitriC-3 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Izzi Hassan.

Author Posts
June 22, 2020 at 8:05 am #6423897

dimitriC-3

Hello

I have a problem with the Yoast SEO breadcrumb (I don't know if you can help me or if I should ask Yoast, I will try both). When I am on this page (hidden link), the first link of my breadcrumb (generated by Yoast SEO) is in German although I am on the French version (same problem in all languages)

Could you tell me if the problem comes from a translation and how I could resolve it?

Thanks for your help

June 23, 2020 at 9:07 am #6432971

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to WPML Support.

Please make sure all our plugins that can be updated are updated to the latest versions that you can check on your Downloads page:
https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

Next, please install the required "glue" plugins from your Downloads page:
Advanced Custom Fields Multilingual
Yoast SEO Multilingual

Finally, please check this known issue and apply the workaround suggested so that we know your issue is not resolved by it:
https://wpml.org/errata/search-page-title-in-wordpress-yoast-seo-is-not-translating/

We will be happy to assist you further once you have tried these steps.

Stay Safe!

June 23, 2020 at 11:24 am #6434185

dimitriC-3

Hello!

I have checked the updates and installed the "glue" plugins.
I applied the workaround you sent me but the problem is still there :/

It's strange that the breadcrumb appears in German because this is not the default language on this website

Do you have another idea where this could come from?

Thanks

June 23, 2020 at 1:05 pm #6435029

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

Could you provide me with temporary access to your website please? I get the feeling you're missing a step here as these are Admin Texts that have to be registered and translated using String Translation.

Either way, it would be useful to see what you're seeing so that I can figure out where the German is coming from.

Thanks!

June 29, 2020 at 7:27 am #6473163

dimitriC-3

Hello

Do you have any news for me?

Have a nice day

June 29, 2020 at 2:25 pm #6477667

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hello!

Yes, we are working to release a new version of Yoast Multilingual this week that addresses the breadcrumb and other untranslated string issues with the integration.

I am waiting to share a version with you until the tests are done to avoid creating new issues on a live website. Please allow me a little time to get that sorted for you.

Thank you!

July 9, 2020 at 7:27 am #6554761

dimitriC-3

Hello

Thanks for your answer.
I am looking forward to be able to download this new version because my problem is still there :/

Have a nice day

July 13, 2020 at 6:07 am #6579491

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hello,

The new version is now available for download!

Please make sure you update Yoast SEO before Yoast SEO Multilingual as we have had some reports of errors from users using older versions of Yoast SEO.

Once you update, you may need to re-save your Yoast breadcrumb settings.

Please let us know if you have any further issues and we'll be happy to assist you.

July 13, 2020 at 7:12 am #6579845

dimitriC-3

Hello

Thank you for your message.
I have updated the plugin and saved my breadcrumbs settings but nothing has changed, I don't understand what's happening :/

July 13, 2020 at 7:27 am #6580069

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Since this is a live site, I took a look but did not modify anything.

Could you please try removing the old "fixes" from your functions.php file? I can see a number of temporary workarounds applied there that modify the Yoast breadcrumb behavior.

I'll take another look once you remove those or confirm that you have a backup and it is safe to try to fix the issue on the live site.

Thank you!

July 15, 2020 at 6:41 am #6599651

dimitriC-3

Hello

I removed everything about yoast breadcrumb from my functions.php file and resaved breadcrumb settings so you an have a look now 🙂

Thanks!

July 17, 2020 at 8:58 am #6618993

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hello,

I tried my best to provide a quick resolution here but I can see that the theme is quite custom and based on the TwentySeventeen theme.

I will need to go through it locally to figure out where those breadcrumbs are being picked up from as I suspect it's coming from one of theme files rather than the WPML -> String Translation page.

Could you please take a backup of your website using Duplicator or any other plugin and share it with me. I have taken a copy of your functions.php and am going through it now.

July 21, 2020 at 10:03 am #6641855

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

Both WPML and Yoast released updates yesterday. I applied those updates to your website since we both have a manual backup and I felt it was safe enough to try.

The Yoast Multilingual update resolves remaining issues with breadcrumbs, but I noticed that the first link after "Home", the Post Type, disappeared after the update.

I was able to fix this by adding a "Breadcrumb Title" and then translating it using String Translation as shown in the screenshots.

- Please go to Yoast -> Search Appearance -> Content Types:
hidden link

- Fill in the Breadcrumb Title for each type

- Go to WPML -> String Tranlsation

- Find the strings under admin_texts_wpseo_titles:
hidden link

Once you translate those, all your breadcrumbs should come back to normal.

Best,
Izzi

July 22, 2020 at 6:56 am #6649521

dimitriC-3

Hello Izzi

Thank you very very much for your help, everything is fine now!

Have a nice day

July 22, 2020 at 6:58 am #6649527

dimitriC-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!