This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
July 1, 2019 at 6:48 pm

thomasK-110

I am trying to:see the translation of the homepage, and some top menu items.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

I expected to see:the translated homepage

Instead, I got: no translation.

Homepage problems:
The English page show up fine. hidden link but the Spanish homepage does not. hidden link The Theme uses 4 panels for the homepage. They are under “customize” / Theme options. Each panel is a link to a page. The whole text flows together.

Menu Problems:
So far the actual pages show up as missing when in the Spanish menu. For example, the top heading “spirituality” or “story”. The posts show correctly. The translation is marked as complete, although it is just a copy of the English.

Are these theme issues? Should a work around be used?

I think the other issues are also related to these.

July 1, 2019 at 10:52 pm #4122431

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Headers, Footers, Widget text as also theme and plugin options (Example: Customizer) will need to be translated with our Plugin String Translation.

Go to WPML -> Theme and Plugin Localization and scan the theme for new strings.
Then go to String Translation and use the search field in order to locate the literal strings, which you can simplz copy and paste from the front end. Only make sure to not enter more than 3 words into the search field.

Further, you can directly select the theme doamin inside of the filter dropdown for domains. Then scroll down and click "show all results". Now you should be able to locate the strings quick by using the browser search tool (Ctrl + F on Windows or Command + F on Mac).

More information here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 1, 2019 at 11:15 pm #4122491

thomasK-110

I have already done all that you suggested. If you look at the site in detail you will see many efforts to translate strings, and also pages and posts and menus, but the problem is with how the theme handles the homepage. Also the menu does not work for some top items, specifically those that are pages not posts. I can submit images if you like, but it is easier to see if you actually click on the links.

July 2, 2019 at 4:23 pm #4128731

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

The homepage translation was somehow not completed. I applied the translation again now. As it is a blog page you will need to start to translate blogs in order to display them. Them fact that the theme shows here the text "This blog is also available in English" without showing any content seems to be realted to the theme. Please start translating blogs and let me know if it keeps behaving the same way.

Menus can be synced WPML -> WP Menus Sync but requierment is that all the pages do have a valid translation.

You will need to first translate all the pages and then use the WP Menus Sync options. Alternatively, menus will need to be created for each language at Appearance -> Menus.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

I hope this answered your question.

Kind regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] broken Spanish homepage and some menu items’ is closed to new replies.