This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 10.88 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
June 5, 2019 at 4:35 pm #3962707

johnL-32

I am trying to: upload translation files back into WPMl to update content.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

Here you can see a current page supposed to be in full Spanish where some sections are reverting back to English.

I expected to see: throughout the site the language selected is consistent with no mix of English and other language as well as the ability to upload one zip file for translated strings without timeout error

Instead, I got:First, strings appear to be broken up in a way that can be translated (see attached screenshot). Second, when uploading translation files back to WPML – we often experience a time out error so files have to be uploaded individually rather than one zip file per language. Third, often times when translations are uploaded, some but not all text reverts back to English. The translation partner we work with, TransPerfect, has fairly extensive WPML experience and has never encountered issues like this so we’d like help in knowing where to start troubleshooting as this is significantly impacting user experience for our site. We were not experiencing this issue in our Development environment but when we updated Dev environment to exactly match production, with all plug-in versions up to date, the broken string problem was visible in development.

Attached you can see a picture of full string that was previously in dev environment and the same content now as broken strings now in both environments

June 6, 2019 at 8:47 am #3967183

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

I tried to check the issue but the site asks for the credentials to access.

If you have a timeout error it would be useful to know what exactly is so please check your server error log for more indication (also for any other error).

Also, please be sure to apply any patch for Avada you may have.

June 6, 2019 at 11:58 pm #3972489

johnL-32

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, when my developer applies any patch to update Avada, the entire site is non-functional. The timeouts don't occur on the site and thus aren't shown in server logs but rather are upload timeouts within WPML back-end.

A few questions for you:
Is the broken string problem I describe a known issue that you've encountered before?

Is there any known issue with the Avada theme & WPML?

If needed, we're willing to contract an expert help us solve this issue as we quite urgently need to translate updated content and are blocked. Can you recommend anyone that has expertise in WPML and familiarity with our theme to help us troubleshoot and resolve root issue if you don't feel like you can within general support services?

June 7, 2019 at 7:39 am #3974503

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

>Is the broken string problem I describe a known issue that you've encountered before?
I don't have enough information to tell. String not appearing as translated can happen for several reasons, so it's likely this is not something new.

>Is there any known issue with the Avada theme & WPML?
No.

At this point, I'd like to ask you for a copy of the site (I'd send you instructions) to do further tests and eventually escalate the issue.
I think this can be solved - but I don't know how much time it will take. As per our support policy (https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/) we cannot guarantee any times to fix issues or bugs.
Therefore, if you are in a hurry, you may want to contact one of our WPML contractors: https://wpml.org/contractors/
Just be aware that a contractor may not be able to fix the issue if this comes out to be a WPML bug. I don't think it's the case, but I want to let you know.

Please let me know if I should proceed to send you instruction to make a copy.

June 7, 2019 at 4:06 pm #3977587

johnL-32

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your response and clarifying support structure. In order to maintain customer experience, we rolled production and dev site back to a previous back-up where translations render as expected.

Any troubleshooting we do I'd like to do on the dev site, do we still need to make a copy of the site or can we just grant access to the dev environment? Should we upgrade all plug-ins on dev environment before you can troubleshoot to show what breaks or should we keep as is in it's working state?

June 10, 2019 at 7:28 am #3985593

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

if you have a dev environment we can work there, not a problem.
When an issue happens after an update, the ideal is to have a working copy and a corrupted copy, so if necessary we can compare them.

Once I have the credentials, I'd take a copy with Duplicator if possible, then I'll update the site (please explain exactly what you did in this stage) and see what happens.

I'll enable a private reply for credentials.

June 12, 2019 at 12:56 pm #4004507

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

sorry for the delay in response. I accessed your dev site and updated Avada, but I cannot see the issue with the strings: I see only one string like in your "correct" screenshot.
It is possible that restoring and reupdating fixed the problem.

Could you check if you still have the timeout issue with translations? What is your procedure in this case?

June 17, 2019 at 6:45 pm #4038009

johnL-32

Hi Laura,

I had the Translation Vendor review dev site and he indicated:

The new content is still not showing for translation. Also dev, the CSS looks to be off.

Translation Editor: Showing old content (see image 'old content')

The Live English Site is showing different new text that should be showing up as new for translations (see image 'new content')

June 18, 2019 at 7:20 am #4040881

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

you are talking about a different issue here. I checked the problem with broken strings and I can't reproduce it. There is only one string in the dev site (where Avada is updated).
Can you confirm this?

This issue with the homepage is a different one and it needs a different ticket. You can open a new one and assign it to me or I can split this.

June 19, 2019 at 12:00 am #4046795

johnL-32

Can you please create a new issue and specifically look into new content that was added that I referenced not being available for translations? Thank you!

June 19, 2019 at 8:15 am #4049321

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there

Since Laura currently has a few days off, I will replace her here in the forum. I hope this is OK for you 🙂

I am not sure about the exact issue here, and it doesn't look like properly described so can you open a new ticket yourself, you can also try to create a chat ticket so we can help you in a chat?

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks