This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
June 21, 2019 at 9:11 pm #4069203

peterV-81

Tell us what you are trying to do? trying to set the Browser Language to Redirect only once. Apparently, it stays on the browser and doesn't allow to the selection of other languages. Loops me back to my browser language. Therefore if a person in japan automatically get directed to japanese, they will not be able to select any other language. The browser will take them back to japanese. Is there a fix or workaround so the user only get redirected one time. after that, they can select any language without being forced to back to their browser language?

Is there any documentation that you are following? your options only allow a minimum of 24 hours.

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

June 21, 2019 at 9:34 pm #4069307

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

the expected behavior would be for the site to indeed redirect me as a user to the Japanese version when i visit using a browser language set to Japanese but if i select English then the browser remembers English as my desired language and allows me to visit the rest of your site's languages.

when you visit the site you are not able to switch to another language ?

is there a specific page i could test this behavior ? when i visit your site's front end i only see an international option

June 21, 2019 at 9:48 pm #4069317

peterV-81

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for getting back to me. I guess I'm a little confused about the explanation on your site which states "No Redirection When Refreshing the Browser". see screen cap, does this statement refer to what I selected " Disable Browser Language redirect"? Does this mean that the user's browser will only be detected ONCE? Then they are free to look at other countries?

Here is the link to your site's explanation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/

I just may have to ask our Japanese distributor to confirm if it actually works as explained on your site. Our site is private, so you really can't access it.

June 21, 2019 at 10:49 pm #4069433

Bobby
Supporter

Thats correct, once they visit the site they will be redirected to their browser's language

then the visitors are free to switch to any other language within the site they wish to check out.

we allow this to happen as my browser might be set to German but i want to view the site's English version for example.

you can test this your self as well if you are using chrome just go to Settings->Languages->Set Japanese as your top language and then visit the site

let me know your results please

June 21, 2019 at 10:59 pm #4069439

peterV-81

The chrome settings for Japanese did not work. I did ask our Japanese distributor to test. If it works, then I will close this ticket.

June 22, 2019 at 5:19 am #4070367

Bobby
Supporter

when ready update me here with your results

if it does not work as expected do let me know the behavior you got so i can better understand what might be happening

The topic ‘[Closed] Browser Language Redirect’ is closed to new replies.