Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
February 9, 2021 at 8:05 pm #8045591

hasaniH

I am trying to: Invite members into WP buddypress private group

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: Success

Instead, I got:
Invitation failed for (number) users -> on Buddypress 7.1.0
You are not allowed to send invitations for this group -> on Buddypress 6

This problem happens only in the translated page.
On the default(english) page, the invite function works fine.
hidden link

I have tested the problem and it occurs for the group's admin as well as the superuser or website admin.
I have tested using default WP themes (twenty-twenty-one) and the problem still occurs.
I have also raised the issue in buddypress community support in case somebody else have similar experience.
hidden link

Let me know if you need login access to the page

February 10, 2021 at 4:32 pm #8054397

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

Is this Buddypress private group invitation feature a Buddypress built-in feature or added by one of the Buddypress add-ons you are using?

Also, can you please confirm that you are following our instructions at the following link on how to work with WPML and the Buddypress plugin?

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/buddypress-multilingual/

While looking for a similar issue to help you faster with this issue, I also encountered this known issue.

https://wpml.org/errata/problems-with-buddypress-multilingual-and-redis-object-cache/

(The Resolved state is not correct).

Please check if this might be the case on your site and if trying the workaround works?

I also want to ask you to check to enable the 'Store a language cookie to support language filtering for AJAX' option in WPML -> Languages. Please read about it here.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/enabling-language-cookie-to-support-ajax-filtering/

I consulted my teammates, and one of them said it worth trying this option.

Regards,
Itamar.

February 11, 2021 at 10:36 am #8059899

hasaniH

Hi,

The invitation feature is the built-in feature. We do not have any buddpress add-on. Plugins related to buddypress are only bbpress, buddypress multilingual and buddypress multinetwork.
I also have just tested that on public group the same problem happen.

The buddpress is using the buddypress nouveau template pack.

yes we do follow similar steps in the documentation
(https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/buddypress-multilingual/)

On the site, we do not use redis object cache or any other caching plugin. The only caching is done through Cloudflare proxy. I have tried purge all cache and put on development mode (no caching), but the problem still happen.

Base on your suggestion, I enabled 'Store a language cookie to support language filtering for AJAX' but it does not help either.
But on a previous debugging process, I found out that the invite function do use the ajax call. And upon called, it failed to get the group id of the opened page/group. On the default/english page, this problem does not happen.

I am wondering if I remove the translation terms that might related to the page/function, would it work? can the translation be disabled temporarily? or without losing the translated text?

February 11, 2021 at 2:08 pm #8062149

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, and thanks for the extra details.

We need to replicate this issue on a fresh WordPress installation. Then I'll be able to escalate it to our compatibility team. For this, I created a test website with a clean WordPress install. You can access it through this link:

hidden link

With this link, you'll be directly logged in.

I already installed WPML and configured it to have English a the default language and Malay as the second language. And also installed String Translation, Translation Management, Media Translation, BuddyPress, Buddypress multilingual, and BBPress.

Can you please replicate this problem on this clean WordPress installation and explain exactly how you configured it and how to see it?

When everything is finished, and you can replicate the problem, please let me know.

Thanks,
Itamar.

February 17, 2021 at 6:50 pm #8110545

hasaniH

Thankyou. please give me sometime to try it. I will update you once I'm ready

February 17, 2021 at 7:00 pm #8110571

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

Sure, I'll wait for your reply.

Regards,
Itamar.

February 17, 2021 at 7:29 pm #8110727

hasaniH

OK, the test site is ready for your testing.
To produce the problem, follow these steps:
1. login to the website
2. change language to Melayu
3. click on menu Grup
4. click on either 'test public group' or 'test private group'
5. click on invite tab menu
6. click + icon for 'user' to add the user
7. 'Send Invites' link will appear on the left with the number of users to be invited in blue circle.
8. click on it
9. then click on Send button
10. the screen then will display "You are not allowed to send invitations for this group."

That is the problem.

If you repeat the process but selecting the English language, you will not have the problem. The last output will be "invitations sent".

The setup preparation that I did for the site was :
1. enable User Groups in buddypress setting -> component
2. create a translated page for page Groups, Activity & Members.
3. create a menu and the translated counterpart.
4. assign language switcher to the menu

February 17, 2021 at 7:36 pm #8110749

hasaniH

additional info:
during setup preparation, after enabling User Groups, I had created the 2 test group (private & public) and set it to enable forum.

February 17, 2021 at 8:06 pm #8111303

hasaniH

I think it should also worth a note that, during the setup process in buddypress -> Pages, (Associate a WordPress Page with each BuddyPress component directory.) buddpress will automatically create and assign pages.
When I switch the language at this point, the buddypress page setup shows that the components is not assigned to any page (none). If I select the appropiate translated page to assigned it, and then switching back to english, the assignment of the original page is gone (set to none). So I choose to set it on the english site and leave the page setting on Malay language as it is (now showing None).

February 17, 2021 at 9:16 pm #8111601

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, and thanks for replicating the issue on the test site and adding a detailed description.

I've escalated this issue to our second-tier supporters. They will check it and, if needed, further escalate it to our developers. We'll keep you updated here on any news regarding this issue.

Thank you for your patience.
Itamar.

March 2, 2021 at 11:08 am #8206563

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

Update

This issue is now escalated to our developers. When I have news regarding this issue I'll update you here.

Regards,
Itamar.

March 2, 2021 at 12:47 pm #8207775

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

Our second-tier supporter, ask me to let you know that although the issue is escalated to our developers it might take a long time until we'll have a fix for this issue. And there is also a possibility that we will not be able to provide a fix for this issue.

If this issue is of high priority to you, I would suggest you consider contacting a one of our certified partners from this link: https://wpml.org/contractors/
Before doing so please have a look also here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/about-wpml-contractors/what-type-of-work-you-can-expect-from-contractors/

With our contractors, you might get the custom assistance you need to get on with your project.

Best Regards,
Itamar.