Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Pieter 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Tia.

Author Posts
September 30, 2015 at 7:32 am #715052

Pieter

WPML 3.2.7 WP 4.3.1

In the past it was possible to export all Posts from default language OR from secondary language OR from all languages.

In the current setup only default language Posts are exported.

I think this is a bug?

Or has the whole export functionality been scrapped as it was giving so much trouble anyways?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

September 30, 2015 at 9:03 pm #715720

Tia

Hello. Thank you for contacting support. I am happy to help you with this.

Going to Tools > Export should export all pages/posts from all languages but no, there is not an option to do it by language. If it was there before, I am not sure the reason why for the change (probably implemented before I started working here).

The second thing you would need to do after exporting post is export the language information from WPML which can be done multiple ways:

Option 1: Use a database explorer like PHPMyAdmin from Cpanel and backup all wp_icl tables.
Option 2: Install a plugin called Adminer https://wordpress.org/plugins/adminer/ and explore the database that way
Option 3: Install a plugin called Duplicator https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ and back up the entire database.

Hopefully this answers your question. If not, please let me know what you are trying to accomplish and I can help make it possible.

October 1, 2015 at 5:06 am #715820

Pieter

you write: "Export should export all pages/posts from all languages"

Then I can indeed report a BUG as currently export only exports the default language posts, not matter whether you're in default language, secondary language or all languages.

I know how to use the database to "export" everything, thank you, that was not my question, because in this particular case I only need to export certain Posts.

I have attached a screenshot that hopefully makes it clearer for you.

October 1, 2015 at 5:02 pm #716294

Tia

Thanks, Piet.

Do you mind if I login and duplicate your issue so I can document the possible bug to developers?

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

** IMPORTANT **

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

October 1, 2015 at 10:59 pm #716470

Pieter

Hi Tia,

Unfortunately I don't have time for this (emailing back and forth once a day is too slow). This is a client's site and I think my instructions to replicate the issue are pretty clear, so you don't need access to any site, you can easily test this on one of your own test setups:

1. have a site available in 2 languages (in my case primary language is Dutch, secondary language is English)
2. make sure you are in the default language (Dutch)
3. go to Tools -> Export
4. select Posts and export
5. perform a search on the downloaded file for "<language>nl" parameter, which you will find
6. then perform a search on the downloaded file for "<language>en"; you will not find any of this

Then do this again, once while on English (step 2) and once by selecting All languages (step 2). You will see that in both instances, you will not get any Posts that contain "<language>en".

Once you have reproduced the issue, you can make this a bug report.

Let me know if you have any questions.

October 2, 2015 at 8:07 am #716609

Tia

Thank you for your time, Piet.

I will duplicate and report as requested.

October 13, 2015 at 10:34 pm #724216

Pieter

any news on this?

October 13, 2015 at 10:37 pm #724217

Tia

Hi, Piet. It has been escalated to 2nd Tier and they are currently looking the issue.

October 13, 2015 at 10:41 pm #724226

Pieter

Okay, thanks. Please keep me posted on any findings and workarounds.

October 15, 2015 at 1:29 pm #725815

Tia

Hi, Piet.

I have been asked to see if you would be so kind to add debug info for your set up to the thread? It would be very helpful for us. Many thanks!

See: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

October 15, 2015 at 1:50 pm #725839

Pieter

I remember that in the past the language code was added to the xml output, but this (also) seems no longer the case. Hope the debug info helps...

October 15, 2015 at 4:50 pm #726069

Tia

Many thanks! I will pass this along.

January 22, 2016 at 4:04 pm #794477

Tia

Hello, Piet. Thank you for your patience. We have finished our review. Exporting all languages is the default behavior of the export and will export from all languages. Per language export is not a feature we had in previous versions.

January 23, 2016 at 1:03 am #794747

Pieter

Hi Tia, you know what I find a pity? That after 4 months you still don't udnerstand what the issue is.
In your latest reply you confirm the issue even.
You say that exporting all languages is default behaviour.
My report was that exporting only exported the default language.
See what a waste of time this is? 4 months and we're still at my principal question, which you just confirmed is most likely a bug.

January 23, 2016 at 2:39 am #794757

Tia

Piet, I take personal responsibility for the time it took to get through the issue and I apologize for that.

Our 2nd Tier support tested as per your instructions here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/bug-export-only-takes-default-language/#post-716470 and could not replicate based on your instructions.

I am working on another round of testing with them now.

Thank you for your patience.