Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
November 3, 2019 at 7:42 am #4875881

martinJ-2

System Description
------------------
WordPress V5.2.4, WPML Multilingual CMS V4.3.2, multi-language site (German, English)

The website makes use of Borlabs Cookie - Cookie Opt-in (V2.1.9), but this has no impact on this bug report.

References
----------
[1] hidden link

Synopsis
--------
When browsing to [1] using either Firefox (V70.0.1 or prior) or Chrome (Version 78.0.3904.87 or prior), the English version of the website is displayed only once.

If the browser window or tab is closed, any subsequent access of the website results in the German version being displayed. This renders a multi-language website less usable, as the English version of the website is only displayed once, but not anymore thereafter.

This behavior can be observed with the Borlabs Cookie plugin being active and deactivated; hence the issue observed not related to the Borlabs plugin. If deemed useful, we can deactivate (upon request) the Borlabs plugin for a short period of time for testing purposes.

How to Verify
-------------
1. Reset your browser to standard settings (i.e. accept cookies)
2. Check your browser ‘s language settings to be set to e.g. English
3. Browse to [1]
4. Accept or decline third party cookies
5. Notice that the website is correctly displayed in English --> OK
6. Open a new, empty tab
7. Close the tab in which [1] is being displayed –- do *not* close the browser window for now
8. Browse to [1] again in the newly opened tab
9. Notice that the website is now displayed in German --> NOK
10. Check this behavior to be persistent even after closing the browser window

The results can be observed to be identical when in step 7. the browser window is closed. The bug, however, is more obvious, when the browser remains active and only the tab is closed.

Expected Behavior
-----------------
Any revisit of the website should result in the correct language being selected/displayed to the User.

November 4, 2019 at 10:40 pm #4884981

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hi There,

Please review the following documentation on our Browser Language Redirection that goes over this specific behavior.

Below I have shared an excerpt from our documentation as well:

WPML will do this language redirect only once and then not redirect anymore. We do this to allow visitors to still switch languages. If we always push back to the browser’s language, visitors will not be able to manually switch languages after WPML redirects them to the language set by their browser.

This single-time redirect operation resets every 24 hours (which you can change too).

Documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/

November 5, 2019 at 4:42 am #4885713

martinJ-2

Hi Bobby,

thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately your approach for redirecting users is something which is conflicting when using a cookie box which is permanent until some cookies are accepted. You can look at our site hidden link to try it out by yourself! If you visit the site you will be first redirected to english - then you open a new tab - close the old one with the english site - and open the site again in the new tab, the following happens:

You will reach the german version and your plugin doesn't switch to english. Furthermore the cookie box will open again in german language. And now tell me: Is this fine for you? Do you understand German language and are you able to select the corresponding cookies? I assume NO.

Even if you think that your solution is perfect you should realize now that it is NOT. In this case, this is a REAL problem...

I do have an idea:
IF you could change your redirect cookie from a persistent cookie to a session cookie this issue could be probably resolved with that. At least when the browser is closed and restarted again this could be adressed with that, maybe even for new tabs? Hmm... what do you think, would this be a possible way of dealing with that issue?

Or do you have another idea how we could solve this problem?

Thanks for your precious time 🙂

Best regards,
Martin

November 5, 2019 at 7:12 am #4885935

martinJ-2

FURTHERMORE >>

We would like to emphasise, that the cookie-box is not optional but mandatory, see hidden link

"Storing cookies requires internet users' active consent, a pre-ticked checkbox is therefore insufficient."

As a result, cookie management tools will become mandatory by law for all European websites in the upcoming months.

November 5, 2019 at 7:52 am #4886095

martinJ-2

We would appreciate if you could verify the issue by following the procedure given above. Then decide if this is what you would expect as a reasonable behavior from the perspective of an average Internet user.

I hope that you agree, that we provide our services to the Users out there, which might not be happy in figuring out what the WPML plugin does do overcome some of it's deficiencies. They just leave the page.

November 5, 2019 at 6:14 pm #4892683

Bobby
Supporter

Hello Martin,

I can verify this behavior as this is known and expected behavior.

As this is not a bug with WPML but rather an expected behavior I recommend filling out a feature request with the above information that will be directly viewed by our developers.

Feature Request:
https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Kind Regards,
Bobby

November 8, 2019 at 9:48 am #4911899

martinJ-2

Well, in our eyes this is a bug and not a feature - but as you insist on it we have no chance. I have posted a feature request and hopefullly (!) someone takes it serious. Otherwise this would mean that we need to search another WordPress language plugin, which will be hard to overcome.

Do your developers send feedback on feature requests? Because this would be really important in our case!

November 8, 2019 at 8:05 pm #4916615

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

Thank you for adding this as a feature request.

After reviewing this with a colleague I was able to find that we currently have an open feature request about this.

As it is already on our list of feature requests, I added your vote to it.

Please do note If or when exactly our developers will add a new feature is not up to us to determine.

Each issue reported in, whether a bug or a new feature request, is taken seriously into consideration. It is given a high or low priority based on a number of factors. Factors which those with the overview of all things related are in the best position to determine.