Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 year, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
May 22, 2020 at 3:59 pm #6196949

marieA-9

I hope that my explanation is ok-I am a user, not a developer.

My email: hcarson@bmj.com

Site URL: bestpractice.bmj.com/info

Our SEO monitoring software has found a number of broken links on our site. A lot of these are sat in the WPML translation plugin.

A lot of the pages in the list have been sent for translation but are not relevant to the other site variants so have been left (I'm not convinced that they received an alert to say that they were there).

This has meant that page have been created with the /pt or /cn country extensions but are just sat there because they don't need to be published.

How can I delete these?

I am trying to filter by status but it doesn't look like the filters are working. I am also trying to bulk delete that doesn't work either.

To confirm the process I am following to attempt this:

"Translation Management" then the "Translation jobs" tab. I am then trying to use the filters and bulk delete functionality - but no joy.

I hope that you are able to help! Thank you.

Helen

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 18.44.37 (1).png
May 24, 2020 at 3:17 pm #6204573

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I will be helping you. I am not sure that the screen you are showing me is relevant in terms of impacting your site as these are internal translation jobs that are held in a database table. It would not "crawled" per say.

Are you referring to how to eliminate pages on your website?

I also just checked your URL with an online checker here and could find no broken links:
hidden link

Maybe you could share the report so that I can understand more in depth the issue.

Thanks

June 1, 2020 at 2:18 pm #6266155

marieA-9

Hi Yvette,

Thank you and apologies for the delay in my reply to you.

In answer to your questions:

Yes, the screen shot refers to links that I would like t delete but I cannot filter on that page or use a 'bulk delete' function.

Here are all the links that have been generated via WPML and seem to be accessible to crawlers:

hidden link

It's strange because the URL's are not actually live but they have been discovered via an SEO audit tool.

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you,

Helen

June 2, 2020 at 8:31 am #6271789

Yvette
Supporter

1. Which audit tool are you using? Have you checked the report against other tools?

As I pointed out, an online tool I used reports no broken links on your site.

2. You wrote earlier: "..This has meant that page have been created with the /pt or /cn country extensions but are just sat there because they don't need to be published.

How can I delete these?..."

These "extensions" are appended to the permalink of the pages by our rewrite rules. Are these pages existing? If so, then you should just remove the pages.

Without looking more closely, I would imagine that you can switch to that language, filter on pages that are not yet published and get a listing.

I am not sure what WPML has to do with this process. The dashboard you cited earlier is a tabble of "job-ids" that are then linked to page-ids where you then see the link to the currently active permalink. Google will crawl pages, not database tables. Apologies if I am missing something obvious here.

June 2, 2020 at 9:52 am #6272719

marieA-9

Hi,

The audit tool is called Semrush.

I am can't seem to filter or delete these pages from the WPML translation functionality. It is only in this space that the pages/links appear. I would like to filter and bulk delete but the option doesn't seem to be there. Are you able to advise on this?

Thanks

Helen

June 2, 2020 at 9:53 am #6272725

marieA-9

I will also feed this all back to our SEO manager for comment.

Thanks

Helen

June 2, 2020 at 11:42 am #6273679

Yvette
Supporter

Could you provide access to your site?

Maybe the case is that you have not activated these languages ...and this is why you cannot switch to these language spaces.

If it was the case that, at some point, you had these languages active and you translated content to these langauges...then later deactivated the languages, then, indeed, these pages would be left behind.

To then see them on the backend, you would have to re-activate the langauges here:
WPML > Languages > Site languages
but WPML would still inform you that there was "inactive" content hanging around...so I am not sure that this is your case.

I am opening the private area for system access details.

June 2, 2020 at 3:35 pm #6275653

marieA-9

Hello,

I have just checked and all the languages are activated. We may see 'Brazil' as a suggestion (see screen grab) but these come under 'Portuguese'.

I am sure a lot of this will be user error. WPML was implemented by our old supplier and not much support was provided around it's use and management.

If there is anything I can provide you with to dig a little deeper on this please let me know.

Thanks

Helen

Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 13.57.05.png
June 3, 2020 at 7:44 am #6280445

Yvette
Supporter

1. Defunct Content
Those 183 pages are currently crawlable but not visible to your frontend or backend.
These could be the pages you need to delete. In your spreadsheet, I see a number of the entries have the pt language code included in the url.

To do this, reactivate the language (if you need help let me know) and remove the pages.

2. Site Languages
Could you also send me a screenshot of the languages you have defined?
WPML > Languages > Site Languages > Edit Languages

3. Other ideas
3.1 Another suggestion I can give you is to use a database tool like PHPMyAdmin or Adminer and search for ocurrances of the link in the database wp-posts post-content so that the references can be tracked down and removed.

3.2 Another thought would be to use the following tool to make sure that the internal links are all pointing to the correct current page URL:
WPMl > Settings > Translate Link Targets

Note - this is very heavy process and I would only do this on off-hours if you have a lot of links.

June 3, 2020 at 4:33 pm #6285795

marieA-9

Thank you Yvette. I will forward the tool suggestion to our SEO and Product manager. Much appreciated.

The PT language is activated. I am not sure why there are 183 under 'Brazil' - that doesn't exist so I can't reactivate it (unless there is something you can advise).

I have attached a screenshot of the defined languages.

I have checked with our tech team and we can provide a login for you to take a look if at all helpful?

Thank you!

Helen

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 17.30.02.png
June 3, 2020 at 4:51 pm #6286021

Yvette
Supporter

Temporary Access to your system
Please provide access to your system (wp-admin and ftp) so that I can further investigate this particular problem. The fields to provide this data are included in a private section that I will open for your next response. You can find it above the comments area. The information in this private section is only visible between WPML Support and you.

June 4, 2020 at 4:27 pm #6296949

Yvette
Supporter

Thanks for that

I´ve gone ahead and did the following steps:

- reactivated "Brazil" language
- deleted the media and pages that were still present in the system
- removed "Brazil" langauge again

Now you will see that only the taxonomy "Translation priority" remains as remnant data from "Brazil". I could not remove this using the normal database plugin tool "ARI Adminer" that I normally use because of the security on your site.

I will leave the rest of the tasks to your team to execute which is digging through your spreadsheet to match URLs to actual WordPress pages/posts types.

June 10, 2020 at 3:11 pm #6343397

marieA-9

Thank you very much Yvette. I'm showing my lack of technical knowledge here but I just wanted to check what has happened with "Brazil".

We do not offer a Brazil language variant on the site. This is covered by the Portuguese language variant. So, will these "Brazil" pages start to build up again when we add Portuguese pages? Or will the work you have done prevent this?

With regards to:

"Now you will see that only the taxonomy "Translation priority" remains as remnant data from "Brazil". I could not remove this using the normal database plugin tool "ARI Adminer" that I normally use because of the security on your site."

Will the deletion of this mean no more pages are generated under this header?

Final question, is the bulk delete functionality working? I would like to filter and delete page types that haven't been actioned/published.

Thank you! And again apologies for my lack of technical knowledge.

Helen

June 11, 2020 at 2:15 pm #6351911

Yvette
Supporter

Hi.

1. You asked: "will these "Brazil" pages start to build up again when we add Portuguese pages? Or will the work you have done prevent this?"

Answer: no more Brazil pages will be added. You will only create "Brazil" pages if you "add" the "Brazil" language again. Since you are using Portuguese...you don´t have to worry about this happening.

2. Translation Priority
You asked: "Will the deletion of this mean no more pages are generated under this header?"
Answer: It´s a taxonomy so you don´t have to worry about pages being generated.

3. Bulk Deletion
You asked: "..is the bulk delete functionality working?.:"
Answer: This is a wordpress feature and not a WPML feature. Yes, it works. You simply need to go to the Pages > All Pages screen , select the posts you want to delet, then go to "Bulk Actions" box at the top of the listing, set it to "Delete" , and then "Apply".

June 18, 2020 at 1:40 pm #6404239

marieA-9

Thanks Yvette!