This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
June 13, 2019 at 2:54 am #4008703

sashaP-2

My site has a few languages configured with custom posts types. Users submit posts/services in front-end and these are not always submitted in English.
I'd like to know how to do a bulk duplication of posts, so that they will be available in all languages, without having to filter by each language and duplicating according to language filter? (see screenshot)
This is very time-consuming and I'm looking for a quicker way, where all custom post types can be displayed in all languages that they were submitted in.

June 13, 2019 at 5:55 am #4009573

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1.- I would like to ask you to visit this link where you will find our official documentation on how to display untranslated content on a site using WPML: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/displaying-untranslated-content-on-pages-in-secondary-languages/

2.- Please provide the debug information of the site. In this link you will find the steps to follow: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Kind regards,
Carlos

June 13, 2019 at 6:26 am #4009617

sashaP-2

Thank you - this method worked perfectly! My issue is resolved now. 🙂

June 13, 2019 at 6:27 am #4009621

sashaP-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

June 13, 2019 at 8:29 am #4010547

sashaP-2

I think I closed the ticket too soon...
Carlos could you please tell me if this method is only available in default site language or if there is something similar available if a post was created in another language?

Our scenario is that users submit posts/services in front-end in various different languages, which most of the time is not the site's default language (English).

June 13, 2019 at 11:18 am #4012301

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

This method will work regardless the default language of the site. The posts created in another language will be displayed in that language.

Best regards,
Carlos

June 13, 2019 at 11:30 am #4012389

sashaP-2

So just to be clear - posts created in another language (not site's default language) will display ONLY in that other language (unless duplicated in backend).
Posts created in default site language will automatically display as translated for all other languages.
Is this correct?
It says in this help page that you sent that "WPML allows you to display content, which is written in the site’s default language, when viewing pages in other languages. "

When I created a custom post in frontend as a user with default language of site (i.e. English) I was able to see this post appearing as translated for all other languages (except for some custom untranslatable content).
When I did the same in another language that wasn't the default site language, the post was not appearing as translated for other languages, it was appearing ONLY for that language it was created in.

So from my understanding, if a post is created in another language other than site's default language, I would still have to duplicate it in backend to other languages, so that it can display for all languages.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Hope this makes sense 🙂

June 13, 2019 at 12:02 pm #4012577

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

I just consulted with my colleagues and you are correct. When a post is created in a secondary language it won't be displayed as translated, which means that you will have to manually duplicated in the backend.

If the post is created in the default language then it will be shown as translated in the secondary languages.

Best regards,
Carlos

June 14, 2019 at 6:46 am #4018741

sashaP-2

Is there a plan to implement the same method for secondary languages?
It seems like a very long manual process having to duplicate everything in other languages.
Is would be great if wpml had a solution to this regardless if it is for primary or secondary languages...
This is especially necessary for e-commerce websites that use many custom post types.

June 14, 2019 at 7:49 am #4019033

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

I understand your point. In this case the fastest way to request this change is if you create another ticket of 'featured request' type and describe what functionalities would you like to add to the plugin.

Best regards,
Carlos

June 14, 2019 at 9:44 am #4019987

sashaP-2

So what would be the best solution in WPML for the following example scenarios?

1. When services are submitted by users in frontend (essentially multi-vendor-type scenario) and in various different languages which may not be the same as the site's default language:
At the moment if users submit posts in frontend which are not in site's default language, they are not automatically accessible in all available languages, and are only accessible in the language of that user.
For a property booking-type website this means that rental properties or services will not show automatically in all languages and will not show in search results across languages.

2.When users make service bookings and invoices & bookings are generated in different languages (i.e. using custom post types) which reflect the user's language and not necessarily site's default language.
Example scenario: A property owner uses X-language to list their property and a guest books the property using Y-language - an invoice is then generated in Y-language, which the owner of the property cannot access because they are using X-language and not guest's Y-language.
Would these invoices need to be duplicated manually by admin in backend wp-admin for both owner and guest to be able to see the same invoice? (however, in this scenario, the ID of the invoice would then change because the post is duplicated). Very inconvenient.

Are there any obvious solutions to these type of scenarios that WPML offers?

Thank you for your help.

June 14, 2019 at 8:16 pm #4023989

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

In both cases you will need to manually duplicate the content if is not created in the site's default language.

You can also add some custom code to make this content to be created in the site's default language regardless user's language. Unfortunately custom coding falls outside of our scope as a support service.

If you are a developer I recommend you to check our documentation for developers: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/ or contact one of our certified partners in this link: https://wpml.org/contractors/

Regards,
Carlos