Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
January 24, 2020 at 12:25 pm #5356731

konstantinosP-11

I have a directory with magazines which have Greek and English titles. I want to display the ABC filtering for both languages.

Is there any documentation that you are following? hidden link but no luck!

January 24, 2020 at 3:37 pm #5358029

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

Please let me know the exact steps to reproduce the issue on your site. Because I am a bit confused about *translate ABC filtering*.

I am not able to access your site because of the authentication. So please fill the private details fields after a full site backup. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking.

Please check the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

--
Thanks!

Bigul

January 27, 2020 at 1:50 pm #5370247

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the details and login information. But the WPML plugin is deactivated on the site now. Is there any special reason for this?

I had a quick check in the Business Directory Plugin settings but not able to find an option to edit or manage the ABC filtering options or its strings. Please check it and let me know your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

January 27, 2020 at 2:56 pm #5370719

konstantinosP-11

I guess it was deactivated by mistake! I activated it again.

I made a contact with the Business Directory Plugin authors and they advised me to use the WPML plugin for the translation of the ABC filtering.

More specifically their answer was: If you translate your entire directory into Greek language then the listings should be filtered by the Greek alphabet. If you want both English and Greek then WPML might be a good option to use. hidden link

January 27, 2020 at 4:36 pm #5371669

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the details. But now only the default langue(Greek) is configured in WPML>>Language settings. Please check the attached image.

If possible, after a site backup please choose English as a secondary language and set the *Directory* post type as translatable from WPML>>Settings>>Post Types Translation. Then make sure you are getting the expected result or not.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

January 28, 2020 at 8:59 am #5375301

konstantinosP-11

I followed your instructions but the Greek Alphabet didn't show up!

The ABC filtering is controlled by the Enhanced Categories module, maybe I should check something there?

January 28, 2020 at 3:02 pm #5378407

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I have checked *Enhanced Categories Module* settings yesterday. But it is only showing an option to enable or disable the *ABC filtering* feature.

May we can translate the *ABC filtering* alphabets using WPML String Translation. But it needs testing. So I have created a sandbox site for further checking. It is a fresh installation(with WPML and default 2020 theme) and will help us to debug the issue without affecting your live site.

Site URL:- hidden link

Login URL:- hidden link

Please login to the Sandbox site and upload the *Business Directory* and *Business Directory Plugin - Enhanced Categories Module* plugins. Then add a couple of Greek Posts and check the issue is reproducible or not.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

January 28, 2020 at 3:32 pm #5378753

konstantinosP-11

I have installed both plugins and three listings with Greek titles. By enabling the option "Displays links on top of listings for alphabetic filtering", the english alphabet is used even though there are no English titles.

January 29, 2020 at 6:35 am #5381923

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for reproducing the issue on the sandbox site. But there are limitations to translate to the ABC filtering characters and it requires customization. Because the characters are defined in a Constant variable in the codes of *wp-content/plugins/business-directory-categories/includes/class-categories-abc-filtering.php* file. Please check the attached images for more details.

Therefore I will check about it with our compatibility team and get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

January 29, 2020 at 8:18 am #5382259

konstantinosP-11

Oh, I see.. Thank you for the help!

I'm looking forward to your response.

January 29, 2020 at 1:19 pm #5384531

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

For your kind information, it requires code modification in *wp-content/plugins/business-directory-categories/includes/class-categories-abc-filtering.php* file to make ABC filtering compatible with WPML. Because we don't have an option to translate it via String Translation.

If it is an Admin option or text like enable or disable the *ABC filtering* feature of Directory Admin>>Manage Options>>Premium Modules, it will be easy to translate it via String Translation. Please check the following documentation for more details.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/translating-options-coming-from-themes-and-plugins/

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/language-configuration-files/#admin-texts

Therefore please contact plugin author about this and let us know their feedback.

As a workaround, for the time being, you can put the Greek Alphabets in an array and have a condition using *wpml_current_language* API in *get_current_letter()* and *abc_filter_html()* functions of *wp-content/plugins/business-directory-categories/includes/class-categories-abc-filtering.php*. Sorry as per our support policies we have limitations for customized coding. So please check the following sample code and documentation for more details.

$my_current_lang = apply_filters( 'wpml_current_language', NULL );
if($my_current_lang=="el"){
//custom code Greek alphabets
}else{
//default code
}

https://wpml.org/wpml-hook/wpml_current_language/

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/

--
Thanks!

Bigul

January 30, 2020 at 10:41 am #5391361

konstantinosP-11

I totally understand. I appreciate your time and your help!

I will keep you updated about this!

January 30, 2020 at 1:59 pm #5392761

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I hope Business Directory Plugin team will update this feature.

--
Thanks!

Bigul