This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by julienE-2 1 week, 4 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
October 5, 2019 at 12:44 am #4698925

julienE-2

I am trying to: translate button links

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:
in the translation: the first button link appears as translatable.
the second does not.

October 5, 2019 at 12:50 am #4698973

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

Please try the following :

1. Go to Pages->Edit the default language page and make a small change in the URL of the button
2. Update the page.
3. Click on the loading circle to update the translation

do you see the URL field now?

October 5, 2019 at 12:57 am #4698975

julienE-2

I switched to Advanced translator and I can't see anymore.

What happened is now both links in the French page link to original (EN) language.

[EDIT]
I switched back to classic editor, and the link still does not appear.

October 5, 2019 at 10:52 am #4700261

julienE-2

This is turning out to be a big problem.
I used the "Translate Link Targets" too. I have 102680 links (?!?)
It does not seem to resolve the problem but also, the work process is just unsustainable.
1. translate page
2. run the "Translate Link Targets" - wait about 4/5 hours
3. manually check all languages
4. realize many links on translated page still point to original language.

I am sorry to report that throughout the building of a rather complex subscription based website the translation management has by far been the most time consuming aspect - and still leaves me with very mediocre results.

Please advise.

October 7, 2019 at 5:49 pm #4709823

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed I recommend taking FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

October 9, 2019 at 5:02 am #4719519

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details!

I can see the issue now.

1. Go to Pages->Edit the Members only page with Elementor
2. Edit the button Link and add for example the following

https://wpml.org/

then update.
3/ Afterward, update the page and access the translation, you will notice the URL shows in the WPML Translation Editor.

I believe this is happening because the translation for this specific link is already done within the WPML String Translation dashboard as you can see in my screenshot.

October 9, 2019 at 12:23 pm #4722729

julienE-2

I see.

Indeed, when I put https://wpml.org/ the button link appears in the translation page.
When I go back to my own link, the button link field disappears.

October 9, 2019 at 4:54 pm #4724565

Bobby
Supporter

The button URL for hidden link has been translated through WPML String Translation which why it's not showing in the Translation Editor.

It's set as "translation complete" for this specific page. We could try deleting it from the database in order to reset this, but I believe there is no need since you can successfully change the translation from within WPML -> String Translation

For example if you visit the Italian version you will see the URL is pointing to the correct one for Italian.
=> hidden link

You can go to WPML->String Translation -> search by the URL -> Change its translation. (see screenshot)

October 9, 2019 at 8:20 pm #4725481

julienE-2

Thanks for these explanations.