This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
May 6, 2019 at 8:52 pm #3752695

brendav-3

Tell us what you are trying to do?

1: I have translated all the pages. Now I'm wondering if I can go in and edit the URL to take out /?lang=fr at the end of the URLs, if I can customize them – or would the page become unlinked to the original page?
An alternative I've seen, which I wouldn't mind, would be simple /en or /fr in the pages to identity language. My issues with /?lang=fr are that it's long and clunky, there will be more French users than English and French is set out as being 'different' when only that language is ID'd in the URL.

I would rather create unique names for the pages or have /en and /fr, which is more egalitarian for a bilingual country.

Attached how I set up my settings, should it be set up differently?

2: I am using Memberpress, which allows me to create Projects – which I use to control members-only access to select content. How can I use WPML on a Project? (Projects are like Pages but they don't automatically show up for me when I'm in WPML in the WP dashboard)

3: How can I change my site description in French?

My development/test/staging site is hidden link (privacy pwd: SpeciallyNow)

May 6, 2019 at 9:20 pm #3752787

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

You can change the site URL Strucutre at WPML - Languages. Please choose "language in directories" and enable "use directory for default language".

As example:

Default language English: hidden link
Second language French: hidden link

Let me know if it worked out or if you need any help with this task.

About the Memberpress Projects do you refer to the fact that you do not find any translation options for this post type?

Please go to WPML -> Settings -> Custom Post Types translation and verify if "Projects" is set to translatable.

Further, for translating your pages I would recommend you to install and activate our Translation MAnagement PLugin and then to activate one of the WPML TranslatioN Editors at WPML -> Settings -> How to translate posts and pages.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/

To help you faster, I've enabled debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us:
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Kind regards
Andreas

May 6, 2019 at 9:38 pm #3752811

brendav-3

Thanks for the direction, very helpful!

I read somewhere that if my site has an actual directory, not to use the "directory for default language". If you look at the site, you will see there's a searchable directory with listings – is this a conflict or is it okay?

May 6, 2019 at 10:13 pm #3752839

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Do you receive any warnings or error message when you activate the site URL structure for "languages in directories"? If not, then then there should not be any issue about using this setting. Further, those dorectories are only virtual.
In case you do receive errors please have alook into the following documentation as you will possibly need to take adjustments on your server´s DNS settings.
https://wpml.org/faq/server-setting-for-languages-in-directories/

More information here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/directory-default-language/

Kind regards
Andreas

May 7, 2019 at 4:45 pm #3760689

brendav-3

Thanks, all very helpful! I went into WPML settings and checked translate for the Memberpress projects, posts and other forms. I translated the Project but can't find how to translate the Memberships – there are nothing available to translate even though I selected it to translate. Not sure if I explained that properly so I attached a screengrab.

May 7, 2019 at 8:01 pm #3761701

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

You should be able to create French Memberships by changing the default language in the top admin par to French, but you will need to create them individually for each language.

Let me know if you expereinced any issues.

Kind regards
Andreas