Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by bernardL-9 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
March 28, 2019 at 2:13 pm #3482183

bernardL-9

I am trying to get a consistent way of translating my content.
On the Settings menu, there are only 2 choices: Use ATE or CTE.

I came across too many problems using CTE, probably because I am using DIVI.
So I would like (for all my pages and all my posts) just to use the DIVI backend editor.

On the pages or posts of my native language (French) there is an option to stop using the CTE.
Once this option is deactivated, I am asked if I want to deactivate only for that page or post, for all pages or posts or all site. If I select All Site, am I going to be OK?

Do I have to do anything else? For example, after updating a French post, if I click the update circle (see red arrow on attached image) I get the following warning: Warning: You are trying to edit a translation that is currently in the process of being added using WPML. What does that mean?

I need to get something simple and consistent to my client. She does the translating herself.

I figured that if I ask her to just duplicate the French post and go translate the French text in English directly into the Divi Modules of the English pages/posts she is comfortable with. It would be simpler. Also, If she needs to do a modification, she would go on the French page/post, then the English page/post. No translating warning, no translating status.

I just want to stay simple. Is it possible?
Thanks,
Bernard

March 28, 2019 at 10:50 pm #3485971

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

if you wish to just use the pagebuilder view you can go to WPML->Settings-> set it to " Use WPML's Classic Translation Editor" like you mentioned and then access the edit page of one of your pages for example and switch off the WPML Translation Editor option for "all site's content"

this is safe to do.

do note that sometimes if you have started a translation with WPML Translation Editor for example you might have to fully finish it ,save , and then re access the page and it will show up in the page builder view.

let me know your results please

March 29, 2019 at 2:26 pm #3492199

bernardL-9

Hi Bobby,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes! Everything is as expected now. The WPML Translation Editor was switched off.

Before we close the ticket, could you please advise whether it is better this way when using Divi or any visual builders, or if I just confused myself when moving back and forth between the WPML Translation Editor and the Page Builder?

Also, one thing I realized was that if I made a modification to a text module on a native language page, the whole text module of the translated page was gone. I had to redo it again. Sometimes text modules can contain a lot of text.

Thanks again,
Bernard

March 29, 2019 at 5:22 pm #3493401

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

It really depends on the layout you are translating but when it comes to divi either way can work.

As you can see here this is our original documentation on how to translate DIvi with WPML when using the WPML Translation Editor
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/divi-builder/

therefore both ways are correct it just comes down to personal preference and what works best for the current site.

do make sure that when you are translating to check if your page is synchronized or not.

the moment you add a translation to the secondary language it will ask you to break the synchronization but until that point any change in the default language can affect the secondary

March 29, 2019 at 7:08 pm #3494197

bernardL-9

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!