Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dennis 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dennis.

Author Posts
December 12, 2018 at 4:13 pm #2994284

niekL

Can I translate Gravity Forms with the Classic translation editor?
Instead of using the send to translation management? I'm the only translator here.

December 13, 2018 at 2:58 am #2995619

Dennis

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support Forum. I’m glad to help you today.

Unfortunately, you can’t translate them using classic translation editor.

However, you may translate Gravity Forms strings thru String Translation. To do this,

-Go to WPML > String Translation

-Filter out the text domain option ( Select strings within domain: ) and select ‘gravity_form-[form_id]’

-Then you should be able to see the translatable strings on that specific form ID

-Enter your corresponding translation for each languages.

-Check ‘Translation is complete’. Click ‘Save’

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

Hope this answered your question.

Kind regards,
Dennis

December 13, 2018 at 3:46 pm #2998502

niekL

OK I can do that like this.
But how can I keep the proposed text from the original language? I can see in dimmed text that is auto filled-in on doing each string translation. As soon as I tye something all proposed text is gone.

December 14, 2018 at 1:27 am #2999805

Dennis

Hi,

The proposed text is just a placeholder to remind you the text of the original language that you’re going to translate. The placeholder text will appear again as soon as the field becomes empty.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to write us back.

Best regards,
Dennis

December 14, 2018 at 10:04 am #3001181

niekL

I understand the placeholder, but can I edit this placeholder instead of typing all new text?

December 14, 2018 at 10:13 am #3001260

Dennis

Hi,

Apparently, you can't. But you can opt to copy the original text being translated and paste it on the translation field instead. Please see the attached screenshot.

Kind regards,
Dennis

string-translation-placeholder.png
December 14, 2018 at 10:28 am #3001371

niekL

yes, that is what I did. But somehow I thought that it was possible to edit the placeholder, on earlier use, with the same version. But now I can do it anymore.
Sometimes with Copy/paste you don't get all the CR & LF coding, so that isn't a 100% workaround

December 17, 2018 at 1:45 am #3006240

Dennis

Hi,

Unfortunately, that would be among its limitations. WPML only has that option to translate Gravity Forms aside from sending it to translation via Translation Management.

Kind regards,
Dennis