This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
May 1, 2018 at 5:02 pm #1915853

coryP-2

We have an existing site with several menus and several hundred pages of content in English.
We also use Beaver Builder (with the Beaver Builder Theme).

At this point, we'd just like to translate a few pages into a few other languages.

I have these plugins activated:
• Multilingual CMS
• String Translation
• Translation Management

I'm having no problem translating page content with Beaver Builder. But I don't think we're prepared to translate all our menus.

Is it possible to disable menu translation when we switch over to another language?

For example, our content is in English, with translations in Korean and Spanish. When I switch over the Korean translation, can I keep the English menus?

May 2, 2018 at 5:36 pm #1940250

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

To add the translations to your menu you can do it from within Appearance->Menus and there you can either sync or add a translation.

if you dont add a translation to your menu you should be able to use the English menu across all your languages as long as its assigned as the main menu.

let me know your results

May 2, 2018 at 11:01 pm #1944404

coryP-2

Thanks, Bobby.

As of right now, I do not have menus in additional languages. Just the English menus. Attached are some screenshots of what displays when I just use the English menus.

When the page is viewed in English, the correct top-level menu is displayed.

When the Spanish translation is viewed, the menu displayed is actually all the pages listed under "Academics" on the top-level. It's displaying the submenu pages from under "Academics" instead of the top-level of the menu.

Any idea why?

May 3, 2018 at 5:13 pm #1963874

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

Which theme are you using ? This could possibly be a compatibility issue with the theme.

Also if you go to Appearances -> Menu and then use the language switcher in the top header of WP to switch to the secondary language

verify that the correct menu has been selected as main menu

May 4, 2018 at 4:59 pm #1979266

coryP-2

I'm using the Beaver Builder Child Theme.

In Appearances > Menus, when I switch over to Spanish, I see the attached screenshot. The only thing I can choose is which menu this will be a "Translation of". So it looks like it expects me to create a menu. But I'd rather just display the main menu. Am I doing something wrong?

May 4, 2018 at 7:56 pm #1981454

Bobby
Supporter

If possible i would like to take a closer look

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

May 7, 2018 at 6:06 pm #2018577

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

Thank you for the access details !

I am not able to get past the .htaccess authentication screen

May 8, 2018 at 6:30 pm #2038296

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

Testing on the staging site with a standard theme such as twenty17 , i am able to use the menu you already have created along with the secondary language.

Menus are controlled by your theme.

therefore with the Beaverbuilder theme it seems that you are going to need to actually create a menu translation, or at least fully translate the pages you want to display in the menu as if the translations dont exist you wont be able to add them to the secondary language menu.

this is controlled by your theme's menu standards rather than a WPML limitation.

i suggest to create a translated menu, but to do this you will need to create translations for your pages first.

May 9, 2018 at 3:55 pm #2057109

coryP-2

Thanks, Bobby. I understand what you're saying.
Do I understand correctly that WPML in some way filters the wp_nav_menu() function?

May 9, 2018 at 5:48 pm #2059167

Bobby
Supporter

I am not sure i fully understand the question " WPML in some way filters the wp_nav_menu() function?"

The topic ‘[Closed] Can I translate page content without translating menus?’ is closed to new replies.